Author Topic: 1959 Motorola SK29W Turntable Console  (Read 1481 times)

Offline Larry K

• FNG !!!
1959 Motorola SK29W Turntable Console
« on: February 01, 2020, 06:06:04 PM »
Hello, I'm trying to restore a 1959 Motorola SK29W turntable console for my father (cabinet with swing-out speaker doors), who bought it in 1960.   It sounds pretty good, but I'm having trouble with operating the turntable.    When I turn the unit to On, it will not drop the album nor move the arm (but the turntable is spinning).   But when I move it to Reject, it will drop the album, but the arm will remain in the rest position, and then I'll have to move it manually to the album.   Other times, when I'm playing the album, if I hit Reject, it will return the arm to rest, and sometimes turn the unit off, but other times leave it on.    So there's obviously a problem.   I realize that this is probably a random/rare issue, and not sure how many SK29W's are still in circulation, but I was curious if anyone has seen this issue with Motorola turntables, or has any suggestions.     If not, I live in Los Angeles, and would appreciate a recommendation to a good restoration/repair shop if anyone knows of one.    Thanks for your help!!!