Author Topic: For you turntable gurus...  (Read 2005 times)

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
For you turntable gurus...
« on: April 24, 2020, 01:57:44 PM »
I have not been using my turntable(s) for years...  Long story...

One record I was trying to digitize to wav/mp3 format has issues...  There is a damaged/flattened portion on the record on one song.  Guessing about 1/2" long "with the groove" & about 1/8" wide...  The record skips throughout this area, guessing 3 to 5 times as the needle "tries" to play the record...  Can anything be done, "besides taping a few quarters to the headshell!" to play/track this portion of the record?  :)

I am using a Dual 1242 tt w/ Shure V15 iii cart.

TIA,
George
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: For you turntable gurus...
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 03:02:50 PM »
I can clean it and attempt surgery if you want to drop it by sometime.

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 12:19:48 PM »
I just set the tracking force to higher end (1.5 g) of cartridge range...  It was able to track fine & was able to record/digitize album...

Thank to all who read & offered suggestions...

Mark thanks for the offer...  Maybe another time!  :)
George
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 01:13:21 PM »
higher end (1.5 g) of cartridge range

What do you usually track at?   FYI, tracking too light can be just as damaging as tracking too heavy.   You get something called "diamond chatter" which can be brutal on the walls of your records.   I generally track to 1/4 gram less than max.   On my current rig this is (IIRC) 2.5 grams.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 05:57:54 PM »
I missed this while I "took a few days off".

I'm Dual fan, so maybe I'm biased...they are usually very forgiving tracking wise. IF they are setup correctly. German engineering, they were sticklers for details. I find if the arm floats freely (in and out) and zero balances then you're good to go. Mine play some crazy wavy records and tracks through "skips" other tables I've had wouldn't. Cartridge compliance is sometimes an issue, but the Shure is a perfect choice for Duals.

If the V15 still has its stock or near replacement, 1.75 should be about right. If it's an eliptical or fine line, I wouldn't go much further. I ran a SAS on a M95 at 1.75 and it was too high for the suspension, it was much better at 1.25. Typically you can set the antiskate at or near the same value as downforce.