Author Topic: Low watt receiver  (Read 5012 times)

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
Low watt receiver
« on: June 06, 2020, 11:51:40 AM »
I've had a hell of a week with my outdoor setup. I had a pair of Dayton outdoor speakers for 3-4 yrs, the surrounds are trashed. Free to anyone who wants to refoam them, to me its not worth it. Replaced the speakers with Polk Atriums which actually sound bigger than their size.

Anyhow, now the receiver I'm using for the living room and outside is going wonky. Lots of noise in the left channel. It's a Superscope QRT440, 15w per channel. It's the perfect output power for the Sansui 1200's which are up in the mid/high 90db. I should have never sold my 2230. If anyone has any lower powered receivers, let me know. Not interested in any modern black face stuff.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

Re: Low watt receiver
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 12:16:21 PM »
I have a Sansui in the garage that worked when I found it a couple years ago.   It worked great but I threw it in the pile because a piece of veneer was broken and I wanted to patch it.   Right now I'm going through ten years of vinyl acquisitions.   Once those are in order then I am going through the gear.   So I have it but can't really vouch for it.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 05:05:45 PM »
I have an Advent 300.  15wpc.  One channel on the fm is weak.  All else functions as intended
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 05:36:06 PM »
I have an Advent 300.  15wpc.  One channel on the fm is weak.  All else functions as intended

Those are nice.   It's black but I don't think I would call it modern black.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 11:47:57 AM »
I wouldn't consider the Advent to be black face crap just like NAD.

The Superscope may not be the source of the noise, currently doing some high volume testing. I had a Niles SSVC-4 speaker selector connected since the 'Scope doesn't have a traditional A/B speaker selector. I really like the idea of the Niles, but it has some negatives. I've removed it and so far no noise...we'll see after I get everything nice and heated up.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 12:18:42 PM »
That would be a nice inexpensive solution.   I have a seemingly new in box speaker selector if you end up needing to replace that one.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 07:25:44 PM »
Ditched the speaker selector and made a quick n dirty switchboard(?) using banana jacks. Yes it's a pain to turn of the receiver to switch from indoor/outdoor, but MUCH easier than plugging/unplugging the speaker leads in the back.

The receiver is still on the fritz, but it seems to only occur at higher than "normal" volumes. Nothing on the case even feels warm let alone hot.

One more note on the Niles...When I turned the balance all the way left or right the speaker that should turn off, doesn't. Its volume lowered a considerable bit, but not as expected.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2020, 10:03:54 PM »
That doesn't sound right.

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2020, 11:22:31 AM »
I have a 2215 (non B) I am selling.  Its nice!

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2020, 09:31:48 AM »
I have a 2215 (non B) I am selling.  Its nice!

Thanks, but I should of updated the thread. I pulled out my old 10w tube amp and tube pre. I had planned to sell them, but this time laziness paid off. They fit the bill for now.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2020, 10:33:03 AM »
What make/model of tube stuff?   Inquiring minds want to know.   Pictures?

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2020, 05:18:42 PM »
What make/model of tube stuff?   Inquiring minds want to know.   Pictures?

Nothing overly exciting...Jolida FX10 and Yaquin MS12B. Both all stock, but I did pull the circus LEDs out of the tube sockets on the FX10. I also don't use the glass cover, just seems like a horrible idea for as hot as it gets. I also need a dust rag and cable mgmt.

FX10 tubes - 4 - EL84 Electro Harmonix (meh, much prefer the Siemens E84L), 2 Telefunken 12AX7.

MS12B tubes - 2 - 12AX7 Westinghouse ladder getter (for the life of me I can't recall where I got these), 2 - 12AU7 Westinghouse black plate ladder getter. (I've got multiple sets of the 12AU7's, I used to roll them every so often.

For the living room/outside I don't see a need to upgrade caps or the EL84's, gimme a week and that could change.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2020, 07:58:24 PM »
I don't know, I think that's some pretty nice stuff.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2020, 05:14:49 AM »
Much more exciting than a 15 watt receiver and it must sound better
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2020, 11:02:33 AM »
The biggest problem is the amp doesn't play well with speakers rated below 90db. It will work with them, but doesn't give you a lot of range with the volume knob, maybe between 11 and 3. High efficiency speakers are not cheap. So years ago I took the amp down to the big sale in WVa where the guy had loads of Fraziers. Out of everything he had the Sansui 1200's sounded best. The Fraziers were a huge disappointment, in condition, size, and sound.

STaL lent me a pair of Heresy's and this amp loved them, but my ears find horns harsh. If you like horns and Klipsch sound, a small amp like this is great. I just like highs a little more gentle or rolled off.

After awhile I wanted better sound out of the speakers so I got a pair of Tekton Lore's from Matt. That put the Sansui's on the shelf, all the other amps in the house had too much power for them and made them sound bad. After a few months with the Lore's I felt they needed just a bit more power so I bought a Jolida 1102. I had intended to sell the FX10/Yaquin setup, but that "hoarding" voice said, but what if you NEED them again some day...

Meanwhile in the living room I kept moving things in and out, after an amp died I brought the Superscope and Sansui's out of storage. It was a decent match, but the 'Scope isn't working well, so back on the shelf and here we are.