Author Topic: Thinking about getting a music server  (Read 1944 times)

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
Thinking about getting a music server
« on: August 05, 2020, 06:14:32 PM »
All right,  many of you know I am liquidating a massive CD collection and many of you also know I have upgraded the system to include a DAC recently.   As I have been ripping some of the choice discs being sold,  I am in the market for at least a couple new hard drives and maybe going all the way and buying one of those little tablet thingies like Carl and RGpit have.  What say ye?

And come by for some free tomatoes soon!!!!

thanks in advance,
The Emperor
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
Re: Thinking about getting a music server
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 07:27:37 PM »
Let me know when the tomatoes are ready!  Ron and I both have Sqeezeboxes.  Using with Logictech Media Server software which is a very nice combo.  Sqeezeboxes can be found for cheap!
Carl

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 09:56:32 PM »
I just set up a media PC.   It's a bit of a clunky solution, but it will play anything, audio or video.

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 09:59:54 PM »
I've also been using Raspberry pi' s running a Squeezebox emulator called piCoreplayer. A Raspberry pi 4 with power supply and case is $80. The piCoreplayer software is free. Give me a call and I can give you the lowdown.
Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 02:00:33 PM »
iTunes  >:D

I'll now go hide behind the couch from items being thrown at me.

It uses what I already have, add in a couple DACs and it's been good enough for me. That said, when I sit down to just listen, I go with analog. When I need background or continuous play, I go with iTunes and Airplay.

Offline geoffr

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 03:35:38 PM »
iTunes  >:D

I'll now go hide behind the couch from items being thrown at me.

It uses what I already have, add in a couple DACs and it's been good enough for me. That said, when I sit down to just listen, I go with analog. When I need background or continuous play, I go with iTunes and Airplay.

+1
Living room: Fisher 400, Thorens TD124, Arcam CD, Klipsch Heresy
Home office: Scott 222c or Fisher KX-200, Thorens TD124, Marantz CD + Peachtree DAC, Omega 3T desktop speakers and Deep Hemp sub
Basement: Rogue Cronus, Meadowlark Kestrel, Rega P25, Marantz CD