Author Topic: Tuner Cord Woes.  (Read 2914 times)

Offline Doghouse Riley

• FNG !!!
Tuner Cord Woes.
« on: July 06, 2021, 08:03:13 PM »
This is my 1976 Leak 2000 tuner/amp, I bought it quite cheaply on ebay, the best part of fifteen years ago, before the "vinyl revival" pushed up the prices of second hand equipment. It replaced a Philips 790 I bought in 1972 which had given up the ghost, the repair estimate was ridiculous.

This tuner/amp has worked perfectly for years. I mostly use it when I use either of these to play mp3s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP-HpQTrcDk

I hardly ever use the radio.

This caused a problem yesterday.

I turned on the radio and started searching for stations up and down the FM wave band. Then I found that the tuning knob was turning, but the indicator arm and the tuning gang wasn't. I took the top off the set and found a tangle of tuner cord, it had come off the wheels. I have a service manual and there's a whole page on how to re-string the cord...using the special tool... which I didn't have! The only use it was for me, was an illustration of which way the cord went around the tuning knob capstan and the big wheel that turns the tuner and how many turns around both. Otherwise I wouldn't have had a clue.

Now I know naff-all about repairing radios. I could have not bothered trying to replace the cord and if I occasionally wanted to use the radio I could slide the top of the set back and turn the tuning wheel with my finger.

But I like a challenge.

Being a bit of a gardener, I'd some stiff garden wire from which I was able to make a couple of tools, just a little hook and a "pusher." The cord was uncooperative, as it was rather stiff, not surprising after all these years and the access is terrible. There's no way you could get a finger down here, between the wheel and the tuning strength indicator unit. I had to use my "tools."

A case of anchoring the left-hand end of the loop of the cord to the cabinet at that end with some tape, then two turns round the tuning knob capstan, two around the tuning gang wheel then around the two jockey wheels at the right hand end, then coaxing the other end round the other two wheels. I even managed to set it up so the indicator arm was true to the postion of the tuning gang. I had to remove the trim over the tuning window to access the jockey wheels nearest the front.

Job done. But it took me over half an hour trying to get the turns of the cord to stay on the big wheel!

It's now working perfectly.

I've no idea when I will be next likely to use the radio, but with all my "toys" I like them to all be working as they should be, even if I don't often use them.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 11:00:44 PM by vpgh »
The information's out there...You only have to let it in.
Jesse Stone

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Tuner Cord Woes.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2021, 11:36:37 PM »
So it took you a half hour to perfectly perform a repair that you had never done before?   I would call that a tremendous success.   Congrats!

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2021, 12:38:09 AM »
It usually takes me more than a half hour just to clear a workspace and gather my tools.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2021, 09:09:14 AM »
Nice job and nice rig.  Looks to be all European equipment.  What speakers are you using?
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2021, 09:26:04 AM »
So it took you a half hour to perfectly perform a repair that you had never done before?   I would call that a tremendous success.   Congrats!

I agree with STaL...  Great job!
G
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

Offline Doghouse Riley

• FNG !!!
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2021, 02:54:17 PM »
Thanks all for the kind words.

I'm using the same speakers I bought in 1972 with the turntable and the Philips 790 tuner/amp which was replaced by this Leak. (recent photos it's the flash from the camera that appears to show the bass speaker outline).

Goodmans Havant.

They are still in perfect condition.

As are these in our summerhouse at the bottom of the garden which  get more use at this time of the year, particularly when I'm gardening.

The information's out there...You only have to let it in.
Jesse Stone

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2021, 09:38:04 AM »
Thanks for sharing.  Very nice
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2021, 03:46:03 PM »
Awesome job! Love seeing ingenuity to get things fixed. I attempted exactly ONE tuner cord repair...still needs repaired. Like you I like having things work as they should, however my complete loathing of AM/FM radio far outweigh attempting to repair it ever again.