Author Topic: PayPal question  (Read 1779 times)

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
PayPal question
« on: February 14, 2021, 07:24:21 PM »

Hey guys,
Does anyone have experience with the following?

I have a fellow in New Jersey interested in the Sansui I have on Craigslist.  He wants me to ship it and said he'd pay UPS to pack and ship if I drop it off and he said he is fine with making payment to me using the 'gift' option.  As far as I know, using this option will void any buyer protection and I can be free of any worry that he would later file a claim with PayPal to force a refund.  Is this truly the case?

thanks
Mike
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: PayPal question
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 09:20:36 PM »
A gift is just that.   But I can't help but feel that I'm missing something in the scenario.

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 06:31:48 AM »
Not missing anything.  A few years ago, I sold some Steeler tickets to a fellow who PayPalled the money and I emailed him the tickets thru the Ticketmaster site.  A month later, Paypal notified me that the PayPal account owner claimed "unauthorized payment".  Even though the dispute was settled in the buyers favor, I never saw an adjustment or reversal to my account for the amount of the transaction.   

This current buyer is asking me to take the amp to the local UPS and he will pay for the boxing and shipping.   By using the gift option for my payment, I am trying to eliminate as much risk as far as a possible  frivolous 'this isn't working/arrived damaged"  claim down the road.   

Am I missing anything here?   

Thanks
Mike
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 08:54:37 AM »
I'm a natural born sceptic...Don't have to pack it up? No fear of future claim? Those are reddish flags to me.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 09:13:25 AM »
I thought you meant HE was asking to use the gift option.   As a seller I would never do that, but that's just me.   I also wouldn't buy from someone who set those terms.   Selling has risk.   If you want a low risk transaction, put it on CL for half what you are asking and take a fish full of cash.   Selling always involves some sort of risk.

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 11:23:02 AM »
Thanks for all the replies and advice.  Just a quick follow-up.   I ended up having him just paypal me as a purchase after he agreed to cover the fees and so he paid, emailed a label from UPS and I dropped it off at the store in Irwin.  They boxed and shipped to NJ where he received it in 2 days.  I had him email me that he was happy with the deal.   So it all worked out! 

Stay warm!!!
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 12:54:00 PM »
Sounds good!

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2021, 02:05:57 PM »
Glad to hear it all worked out...   :)
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

Offline steinjw

• FNG !!!
  • stein449@icloud.com
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2021, 08:30:24 AM »
I recall, back in the day, we would buy things from ads in the back of stereo magazines, phone call with the seller, send a check in the mail, get the merchandise.
Days long gone, lol.
Jim
Linn Sondek LP12 w/Lingo II, Akito II, Dynavector XX-2 MKII, Art Audio Vinyl One Phono Pre, Gill Alana preamp, Art Audio Carissa Amp, Totem Acoustics Hawk Spkrs. Also Kenwood KT-5090 and NAK CR-7A Cass.(haven't used that last in an age).

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2021, 10:18:36 AM »
Yes,  things ain't what they used to be!!!!
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers