Author Topic: Yamaha HDMI modes  (Read 2120 times)

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
Yamaha HDMI modes
« on: February 05, 2021, 03:00:42 PM »
Been fighting with this issue and haven't found an answer, maybe one of you guys have a Doctorate in AVR. For some reason, I can't find the mental bandwidth to grasp AVRs and the billions of acronyms that go with it - to quote Cousin Eddie, "The sh*tters full".

I'm dealing with these components.
Yamaha RX-V681
AppleTV 4K
Sony UBP X700
Premium High Speed HDMI cables

Let's start with the AppleTV, I have HDR enabled on the Apple TV and the Yamaha on Mode 1. The Apple TV displays and plays back with no issues. Switch to the X700 and no picture.

Switch the Yamaha to Mode 2 and the X700 works, but the Apple TV reverts to SDR.

I've swapped cables back and forth. If a cable enables HDR on the AppleTV I presume it meets the 18Gbps requirement and would work without issue on the Sony. I also tried different 2.2 HDMI ports on the Yamaha and can't get both of these inputs to work without switching modes.

I don't want to keep switching 4K mode in advanced menu (Power down AVR, hold Straight and power button, scroll options, set, power down, power back up). Wife and kids can't tolerate anything beyond lifting a finger to get what they want within a millisecond. If the Harmony One doesn't do it I've got to stop whatever it is I'm doing to explain yet again...you get the picture, it's a PIA.

My main question is why won't the X700 work in Mode 1? This same problem occurs if I use an older Sony S590 player as well.

Here's the info from the Yamaha manual for HDMI modes:

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
Re: Yamaha HDMI modes
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 08:55:58 PM »
I didn't think the TV would be the issue, but it was/is. Seems the Apple TV wants Full UHD Color On, the Sony wants it Off. I can play a disc with it On, but the Sony menus won't appear.

That's an improvement over switching the HDMI modes, but still a pain. Why can't we all just get along???

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 09:58:39 PM »
Is there anything in the Sony menuing that can make it play more nicely with the other pieces?   I suggest that because in my experience BluRay players have the most output options and Apple says do it their way or die.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 11:39:49 AM »
Is there anything in the Sony menuing that can make it play more nicely with the other pieces?   I suggest that because in my experience BluRay players have the most output options and Apple says do it their way or die.

You're spot on about Apple, but Sony is #2 in that category.

Here's the issue if I understand it correctly, the menu screens are 60fps where as video is 24. Even still, the same cables work for one device and not the other. The menu screen of the Sony looks like a 5th grade team project vs the menu screen of the Apple TV. To be honest, the only thing the Blu-Ray player is good for to me is playing discs. I'm going to relook at the Sony settings again, I may have missed something.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 12:50:20 PM »
Well, what else would you be using the Blu Ray player for?

I was thinking maybe the Sony had a menu option to help with this...

"Seems the Apple TV wants Full UHD Color On, the Sony wants it Off."

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 10:25:02 PM »
HDMI cable!!! It was time to pull the stand out and clean up. Got rid of all unnecessary cables, dust bunnies, etc. If I catch who snuck in and twisted all the cords together, you'll pay!  >:D  I pulled all the HDMI cables out and switched a few around. Everything works as it should now and one HDMI cable went for a timeout in the cable bin.

It would be nice if HMDI cables had an accurate marking (more than High Speed with Internet) on them to indicate just WTF speed it is rated. The one I pulled has no markings on it and I don't recall where it came  from.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2021, 11:16:54 PM »
I hate HDMI.   Glad you got it figured out.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2021, 10:42:30 AM »
I hate HDMI.   

Likewise. Seems to me the standards are loosely followed at best. The only other cables I've had this much trouble with were SCSI cables, that was 20 years ago and better connection options wiped them off the map.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2021, 12:56:48 PM »
I hate HDMI.   

Likewise. Seems to me the standards are loosely followed at best.

90% of the problems aren't actually the cables themselves but the "handshake" (anti-piracy) protocols that are part of the format.   I've found more than once that I can remove the cable for a malfunctioning port then put back the same cable and it will work.   It often just has to do with how the chain is initialized.