Author Topic: new guy in the room....  (Read 2287 times)

Offline PeterA

• FNG !!!
new guy in the room....
« on: February 06, 2021, 09:39:20 PM »
Hello folks. I came here searching for help with a 1970's panasonic SE2300 stereo.  Seems like a really cool place where everyone knows many times more than I do about HiFi, vintage or otherwise.  No idea how to navigate here....Peter in north Florida

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: new guy in the room....
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 11:19:14 PM »
Welcome Peter.   Looks to be one of those all-in-one jobbers.   Even though it's Panasonic, the table has a Garrard vibe to it.   Curious.   What kind of help do you need?

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 08:47:16 AM »
Welcome Peter.  A few pics might help
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline PeterA

• FNG !!!
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 09:34:05 AM »
Wow, great to see replies. thank you.  It is an all in one unit.  Turntable says Model 300, and various markings of "panasonic".  The main problem is that one channel does not seem to work.  Trying to find out how to even disassemble the unit without breaking anything, AND to see how difficult it is to get the channel working again.  not sure how to upload a picture. will ask my kid when he is back in a couple days.  I've searched the internet for a manual of any sort and found nothing.  Thanks for your help. Peter

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 09:41:22 AM »
Sometimes problems with intermittent channel operation, including a channel being always out are caused by dirt in the controls.  Try vigorously operating all of the controls a number of times.  If the unit is turned on at low volume, you can listen for any sound or noise coming form the derelict channel.  Also, try reversing the speaker hook-up.  If the problem follows the speaker, it is not the unit.  Are the speakers plug in wires, or bare.  If plugin, its possible there is a break in the wire you cannot see.  Gently wiggling the connection and the wire at the plug will sometimes identify a break.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 09:53:33 AM »
Everything MacGeek said are great first steps.   Do all of that and report back.   I'll add just one other question.   Is the intermittent channel on every function of just the turntable?   Is the radio also intermittent in that channel?

Offline PeterA

• FNG !!!
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 10:56:15 AM »
Fantastic! Y'all's encouragement and insight, got me fiddling more with knobs and "Walla"!  It works.  Definitely is mostly the "source" knob and I'd love to take the thing apart and clean the contacts on those control knobs.  If anyone can suggest where to get a service manual for this thing, that would be great.  looks like it comes apart from the bottom....which is really cumbersome, as the unit is darned heavy.  I am so psyched to put this little set-up in my AirBnB, with a selection of albums for guests to mess around with:).  Next project is what I truly think is a bad channel on my Sansui 5000A.  Is it worth repairing?  If so, should I prophylactically replace both channels at the same time?  (I really do not know what is involved in repairing a channel).  Thanks for your help!  super appreciate it.  Peter in Gainesville

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2021, 11:02:54 AM »
Welcome Peter. Glad you got it working, it seems that model is somewhat a unicorn, like you I couldn't find any manuals online.

As for the Sansui, here's a good starting point:
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/sansui/5000a.shtml

You'll need to create an acct over there to download the manuals.

Offline PeterA

• FNG !!!
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2021, 12:29:03 PM »
funny, I was just signing on to that site!  Thanks again. Peter

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2021, 01:00:10 PM »
Definitely is mostly the "source" knob and I'd love to take the thing apart and clean the contacts on those control knobs.  If anyone can suggest where to get a service manual for this thing, that would be great.

You probably won't find a manual but that's okay because you don't need one to clean those controls.   Read the first post in this long thread at AK.   It tells you everything you need to know and is very well written...

https://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/the-idiots-guide-to-using-deoxit-revisited.207005/

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2021, 01:04:49 PM »
Next project is what I truly think is a bad channel on my Sansui 5000A.  Is it worth repairing?  If so, should I prophylactically replace both channels at the same time?  (I really do not know what is involved in repairing a channel).

As to the Sansui, any time one of their amps is having a bad channel issue my first thought is the corrosive black blue, but that one looks old enough to be before they were using that glue, though I could be wrong.   at any rate, while I was Googling that model I found this link, which will probably be of interest to you in evaluating if you wish to move forward with working on it...

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/sansui-5000a-1040-boards-a-big-deal.735240/