Author Topic: Cerwin Vega DJ set up  (Read 2456 times)

Offline JohnO

• FNG !!!
Cerwin Vega DJ set up
« on: May 27, 2021, 07:07:37 PM »
I picked up a barn find old school DJ system.
It has a CV A200 Amp and CV DM-2 Mixer, along with 15" JBL loudspeakers couple Danon cassette decks and two old turntables.
I am not a stereo geek by any means but have top shelf gear in our boat, car and truck.
What I am looking for is some direction on setting up the amp, mixer and speakers.
If anyone has a owners manual for the amp or mixer that they can share that would be a great start.
A patient expert may be able to help as long as long as stupid questions are not a bother.
THANK YOU
JohnO
PS: I don't want to go out DJ'n I just want loud drunken karoke in my back yard, social distance and masks... you know the drill.
JohnO

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Cerwin Vega DJ set up
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2021, 09:16:54 AM »
You can try https://www.hifiengine.com/ for manuals
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2021, 10:23:01 AM »
I don't know those pieces (they don't seem to be common) but as a rule think of signal flow like plumbing.   Out of the tape deck, into the mixer.   Out of the mixer into the amp.   Out of the amp, into the speakers.

Offline JohnO

• FNG !!!
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2021, 12:31:33 PM »
You can try https://www.hifiengine.com/ for manuals

Thanks I did look there too, no luck but looks like lots of good stuff in there too.
JohnO

Offline JohnO

• FNG !!!
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2021, 12:40:30 PM »
I don't know those pieces (they don't seem to be common) but as a rule think of signal flow like plumbing.   Out of the tape deck, into the mixer.   Out of the mixer into the amp.   Out of the amp, into the speakers.

Thank you I get the logic but I have seen directions where the speakers come out of the mixer?
The inputs to the mixer are straight forward for the TT or CD's its the amp in/outs I dont get.
I dont know which way to go and dont want to blow anything up.
Its been sitting idle since I bought it and I grow cautiously more anxious.
JohnO

JohnO

Offline JohnO

• FNG !!!
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2021, 01:25:12 PM »
It has a CV A200 Amp and CV DM-2 Mixer, along with 15" JBL loudspeakers couple Danon cassette decks and two old turntables.
I am not a stereo geek by any means but have top shelf gear in our boat, car and truck.
What I am looking for is some direction on setting up the amp, mixer and speakers.
If anyone has a owners manual for the amp or mixer that they can share that would be a great start.
A patient expert may be able to help as long as long as stupid questions are not a bother.
THANK YOU
JohnO
PS: I don't want to go out DJ'n I just want loud drunken karoke in my back yard, social distance and masks... you know the drill.

I have pictures of the back of the amp and mixer, is there a way to post these?
JohnO

Offline Vpgh

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2021, 11:59:52 PM »
THANK YOU
JohnO

I have pictures of the back of the amp and mixer, is there a way to post these?
You can attach the pictures.
Check the "attachments and other options" at the bottom of the Post reply window

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2021, 12:02:56 AM »

Thank you I get the logic but I have seen directions where the speakers come out of the mixer?

JohnO

Perhaps powered speakers.   Your mixer doesn't have the ability to drive passive speakers.   Where are you located?

Offline JohnO

• FNG !!!
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2021, 12:15:43 PM »
I am trying to resize some pictures and hope to attach them here.
Thanks for the help folks.
I'm sorry I was away for a while, had another round of detached and torn retina surgery, pretty much blind right now.
JohnO
JohnO

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2021, 10:10:47 PM »
Simple.   A standard RCA patch cable goes out of the mixer from the jacks that say "program" and into the amp on the top jacks that say "Chan One" and "Chan Two".

Offline JohnO

• FNG !!!
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2021, 11:00:26 PM »
Thank You
I was not sure on where out of the mixer and was reading more into it than required.
Looking at the mixer board and seeing how the different sections are located ole grey is starting to sop it up.
I hate to, but assume one uses the program slide on the mixer for volume with the amp output/volume set at a nominal, speaker save level?
The other input jack sizes were messing with me too as the speakers require 1/4 plugs at the cabinet and I didn't think they would convert from 1/4 inch to RCA to go into the program output at the mixer.
Thanks again for the assist.
I will take a run at it and let you know.
JohnO

JohnO

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2021, 08:51:46 AM »
I cannot clearly tell from the pic of the back of the amp, but suggest checking the a/c input voltage setting.  It looks like it might be in the 240 volt position.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2021, 05:59:03 PM »
I cannot clearly tell from the pic of the back of the amp, but suggest checking the a/c input voltage setting.  It looks like it might be in the 240 volt position.

Good eye, but it looks to me like it's locked at the 120 position with a switch guard and screws.    Definitely worth double checking.

Offline JohnO

• FNG !!!
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2021, 06:43:54 PM »
Yes it is secure in the 120V selection.
I finally got a chance to plug it in.
The neighbors for about 4 blocks round got a good listen on Canada Day.
Although the Pouges aren't Canadian this Irishman is and they got their share of Shane MacGowan.
I did play lots of Neil Young and Randy Bachman as well as The Guess Who, April Wine, The Stampeders and Steppenwolf.
I even played some Buffy Sainte-Marie for our Indigenous brothers.
Thanks for the help guys everyone enjoyed it.
JohnO

JohnO