Author Topic: Infinity RS IIB  (Read 2717 times)

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
Infinity RS IIB
« on: March 16, 2021, 10:28:42 AM »
Hi all,

I recently came across a pair of Infinity RS IIB loudspeakers while helping clear out the estate of a family friend.  These are, at best, in fair shape cosmetically, but will clean up and look decent.  Electrically there are challenges.  All of the  connections to the Emit and Emin drivers are disconnected.  I found a schematic for the RS IIA model that uses cone drivers and preceded these, but no luck finding help for the IIB.  Also, the rear firing Emit in one cabinet is missing.  Can the speaker be safely driven with out it, or do I need a resistor to create a dummy load for the crossover?

The prior owner was too young to be the original owner.  He must have fancied himself an electronics wizard because there was lo and mid fi gear installed all over the house (you wouldn't believe the wiring); mostly older stuff in rough shape.  I suspect he tinkered with the Infinities and removed the missing rear firing Emit to replace a blown front firing driver (over driven in all likely hood-there wasn't a decent amp in the house), but that is pure speculation on my part.

These will need a bit of work to get them in good operating condition, but should be worth it, based on the reviews I read.  I want to get them operating before I commit to foaming woofers and the other things that need to be done to make them sound the way they should.  Thanks for any help

McG
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

Re: Infinity RS IIB
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 11:15:48 PM »
Rather than putting in a resistor, I would look for some sort of modern equivalent.   Yes, I[m sure that electronically the xover needs to "see" that load at that point, but I would think even a close substitute would do a better job of recreating the intended sound than just having nothing there.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 08:24:39 AM »
Thanks, Mark and I agree.  However, all I am trying to do for the short run is get them operating so I can determine if they are worth restoring.  If I find they have a number of blown Emits/Emins, I'll either part them out or recycle them.  I already know the woofers need to be re foamed.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 09:07:35 AM »
I've got a pair of Qe's that are daily drivers. I've never opened them up so I don't know how easy/difficult removing the EMIT driver is. If it helps get you out of a jam, I can bring one over or meet or whatever, let me know.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 11:04:09 AM »
Thanks for the offer; we can always get together just to play.  I have a pair and can put together one working speaker with what I have and then swap drivers as needed to test a second speaker.  The Emits and Emins don't look to difficult to remove.  Where I need help is with the wiring to those drivers.  It is all disconnected and I am concerned about proper phase between the woofers and the mid/tweeters as well as phase between them.  I cannot find any pics on line and the schematic I did find is for the model RS II A version

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 10:04:52 PM »
I wouldn't worry about phase for testing purposes.   Same load to the amp either way.

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 07:09:48 AM »
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2021, 08:28:36 AM »
Thanks.  That is the schematic for the required equalizer (which I fortunately did find with the speakers).

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2021, 01:56:34 PM »
I thought the 2nd link was for the speakers & hookup question you asked?  The right diagram...

G
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2021, 09:02:57 AM »
Oops, I missed the second link.  Many thanks.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2021, 10:27:57 AM »
Thanks to all for your suggestions.  I have managed to get the Infinity's running.  All of the fuses were blown.  Four of the six Emin drivers are destroyed, but I think I found a source for reproductions (https://ava-sales.square.site/).  I will need to locate a replacement for the rear firing Emit for one of the cabinets.  Some of the fuse holders are missing and the woofers will need to be re-foamed eventually.  Also, the material covering the rear firing Emits is missing and will need to be recreated, somehow.

I have the proprietary EQ for the over damped woofers, but it will need work.  I believe I can substitute an extra Mac EQ I have to achieve the necessary low frequency adjustments

Given all that, what I heard from what I can assemble with what I have suggests these will be a pair of very good sounding speakers once the driver and electrical restoration is complete.  If/when I get that far, I will deal with the cosmetic issues.

I have tried twice to post this with some pics, but can't get them to load.  I'll try to share them in the shout box
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 10:31:28 AM by MacGeek »

Offline Vpgh

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2021, 09:28:13 PM »
Did you post from mobile or desktop PC?
Please note that maximum individual pic size is 256KB.

P.S. Picture stolen from CL

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2021, 11:34:47 PM »

You are better at posting pics than you are at identifying speaker models.    >:D

Offline Vpgh

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2021, 11:47:03 PM »

You are better at posting pics than you are at identifying speaker models.    >:D
Good point!
 :laugh:

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2021, 08:15:34 AM »
Posting on my PC.  All photos at the lowest resolution.  Just tried posting only one pic, with no luck