Author Topic: Empire cartridges  (Read 2227 times)

Offline Vpgh

• Double Secret Probation!
Empire cartridges
« on: March 29, 2021, 12:41:04 AM »
Could anyone has an idea about modern cartridge with similar presentation like famous Empire 2000? I had have a personal experience with Empire 8000 series cart and I love it. However, original stylus replacement is unobtainable now.

The difference with Grado red/silver is significant, especially with midrange. Shure and re-badged RS were good but out of production also.

Thanks for suggestions.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Empire cartridges
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 10:10:54 AM »
If you have a vintage cart that you love you could always have it sent to be retipped.   I've never heard an Empire so I can't really speak to that.

Offline Vpgh

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 04:41:22 PM »
If you have a vintage cart that you love you could always have it sent to be retipped.   I've never heard an Empire so I can't really speak to that.
STaL, thank you for reply.
The problem that Empire is out of business for a long time and I know nothing which company can do that right.

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 05:40:16 PM »
Vince,
I have an Empire 2000E/iii cartridge w/ stylus that I have mounted to my Dual 504 that I am not using at the moment...  PM me if you want to discuss further...

George
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 06:29:23 PM »
Soundsmith retips and repairs cartridges (I have used them in the past).  I do not know if there are any limitations on brands, stylus tip types, age, etc.

sound-smith.com
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Vpgh

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 08:43:33 PM »
Soundsmith retips and repairs cartridges (I have used them in the past).  I do not know if there are any limitations on brands, stylus tip types, age, etc.

sound-smith.com
WOW! Thanks!
On other side, I would like to enhance my listening experience with modern technologies. Might be I'm wrong. 

Offline Vpgh

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2021, 08:46:34 PM »
Vince,
I have an Empire 2000E/iii cartridge w/ stylus that I have mounted to my Dual 504 that I am not using at the moment...  PM me if you want to discuss further...

George
Thank you for the offer George.
My 8000/XVE is in a working order but future is unclear

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2021, 09:08:02 AM »
I've got a Empire 2000(?) cartridge but no stylus. Came on a table I bought years ago. I couldn't find any info anywhere on a replacement stylus. I even took it to Galaxy and Vince told me, "that thing has been around the sun so many times the magnet is likely wore out".  ??? On top of everything else now I need to have anxiety about magnets wearing out.

Ive always heard good (and expensive) things about Soundsmith, but I always thought they were mostly retippers, do they manufacture complete "slide in" style stylus'??

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2021, 08:04:37 PM »
I've got a Empire 2000(?) cartridge but no stylus. Came on a table I bought years ago. I couldn't find any info anywhere on a replacement stylus. I even took it to Galaxy and Vince told me, "that thing has been around the sun so many times the magnet is likely wore out".  ??? On top of everything else now I need to have anxiety about magnets wearing out.

Ive always heard good (and expensive) things about Soundsmith, but I always thought they were mostly retippers, do they manufacture complete "slide in" style stylus'??

I don;t think they manufacture anything, but if you ave a good cantilever with a worn or dropped diamond I believe they can put a new one on for you.   I guess you'd have to contact them to be certain.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2021, 07:27:11 AM »
Soundsmith manufactures new cartridge/stylus, based on moving iron technology.  I bought a replacement cartridge for my mothers B&O a few years ago and they repaired my MMC2.  They started with models to fit B&O turntables and have expanded from there.  They also rebuild certain models of Tandberg and maybe Revox R2R tape machines.  I am not sure about replacement slide in stylus.  They Website is a good read.  STaL is correct about checking with them and they are pricey.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77