Author Topic: Replace RCA Jacks?  (Read 2335 times)

Offline o1grossman

• FNG !!!
Replace RCA Jacks?
« on: May 06, 2021, 12:49:59 AM »
Hi, I?m refurbishing a Fisher 50C preamp (50+ years old) and I?m considering updating all the RCA jacks. Does anyone have any thoughts on what that might do to the equipment?s value? Thanks.
Experience is that thing that makes mistakes look familiar.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Replace RCA Jacks?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 11:24:07 AM »
On the one hand, anything non-original usually lowers value.   On the other hand, are you looking to flip it or run it?   Does resale value even matter in the equation?

Why are you looking to replace the jacks?   Are they defective?

Offline o1grossman

• FNG !!!
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 12:16:23 PM »
Good question; I?m still undecided if I?m going to sell it or hold on to it.  There?s nothing wrong with the original jacks except that they strike me as a weak point for a component that might end up in a pretty high-end system.  That plus they?re not all that expensive or difficult to upgrade.

That said, I think you?ve given me my answer.  I?ll hold off on changing them out for now.  Thanks for your input.

Offline o1grossman

• FNG !!!
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 12:26:58 PM »
On the subject of ?anything non-original.. ?, recapping must be an exception to the rule, right?  I?ve spent a lot of energy working out the best way to rebuild the can capacitors so I have been sensitive to the issue of keeping things original. 

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 09:04:33 PM »
Yes, electrolytic caps are an exception most of the time.   Some real sticklers ever get lathered up about those being original but most people understand that they age and need replacement.   Some people will have strong opinions about which caps to use.   I ran into that when recapping my Leak Stereo 20.

Definitely clean the surfaces of the existing RCAs, but don't change them just to change them.

BTW, welcome to VHiFi.