Author Topic: Tasso Spanos  (Read 2102 times)

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

Re: Tasso Spanos
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 12:32:38 PM »
Interesting.   I'd never heard of any of that.

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 12:55:39 PM »
Thanks for posting...  As with many of us, I visited Opus One many times back in the day...  Visited his Oakland store a few times also...  I had lunch with him a few times while he was practicing medically...  His practice was on Carson Street on the Southside...  Intense individual, but a very nice person & did care about people & helping them...  He was very genuine... 

Sorry to hear...  Sending prayers to his family...

George
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 12:57:53 PM by gdv »
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

Offline geoffr

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 10:22:10 PM »
Still using a Belles amplifier that I bought from him at Opus One.
Living room: Fisher 400, Thorens TD124, Arcam CD, Klipsch Heresy
Home office: Scott 222c or Fisher KX-200, Thorens TD124, Marantz CD + Peachtree DAC, Omega 3T desktop speakers and Deep Hemp sub
Basement: Rogue Cronus, Meadowlark Kestrel, Rega P25, Marantz CD

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 06:59:08 AM »
Thanks for posting.  Was there an Opus One in Shadyside on Walnut?   I remember visiting a audio shop in that area probably in the mid 70s.

Back when I was doing marathon training, I did a lot of trigger point work to help with deep tissue repair.  Have a couple of trigger point tools and, of course, a manual that was only very slightly used.   
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 09:39:21 AM »
There was a Listening Post there, don’t remember an Opus One? 
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 11:39:24 AM »
The Listening post was on Walnut in Shadyside in the 1970s and later had a location in the plaza in McCandless (near the K-Mart also now gone) and maybe elsewhere.  Opus One was downtown at the corner of 3rd, (or 4th?) and Smithfield
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline steinjw

• FNG !!!
  • stein449@icloud.com
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2021, 11:36:32 AM »
Just a bit of an interesting story about Tasso:

My wife (Monica) and her dad conducted the auction of the Opus One office and inventory following his liquidation sales (she recalls that it was a second-story spot in Oakland, so he must have had a presence there at some point).

Monica arrived to make the listing for the auction. Tasso greeted her and they commenced to discuss details.

Then, as he looked at her, he said "Oh my - your shoulder - that must be sore".

"Well, yes, just something that you hardly think of after a while", she recollects replying.

For the remainder of the period as she went about the work and discussion with him re: the listing, etc., ... as he followed her, if she put the clipboard down (or, occasionally he would take it and put it down), he would then manipulate her arm, or apply pressure at selected points.

She said that he seemed more interested in her well-being, as he went on about his myotherapy and the story of how he became interested in the field, than he was in the business at hand.

It was as she was leaving that it dawned on her - oh my - blessed relief of what had been a nagging, but ever-present, ache that you had rather learned to ignore after a while.

Later on, when one of our sons had experienced a nasty and painful cranial neuralgia from a vaccine administration (which had completely eluded pediatric practitioners including neurologists at the big hospital), Monica recalled that experience and took our son to see him. And Tasso correctly ID'd the nerve involved and gave our son the only relief that lasted for intervals, until an adult UPMC neurologist identified the crux of the problem and provided lasting treatment.

Mr. Spanos really, really had an intuitive, as well as a learned, sense in this area of expertise, as well as a real empathic and devoted manner.

He will be missed.
Jim
Linn Sondek LP12 w/Lingo II, Akito II, Dynavector XX-2 MKII, Art Audio Vinyl One Phono Pre, Gill Alana preamp, Art Audio Carissa Amp, Totem Acoustics Hawk Spkrs. Also Kenwood KT-5090 and NAK CR-7A Cass.(haven't used that last in an age).

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2021, 10:30:46 AM »
The Listening post was on Walnut in Shadyside in the 1970s and later had a location in the plaza in McCandless (near the K-Mart also now gone) and maybe elsewhere.  Opus One was downtown at the corner of 3rd, (or 4th?) and Smithfield

I don't remember Opus One, guess my dad never took me there. I do remember going to the Listening Post in Shadyside, that's where my infatuation with Mac meters began. They also had a store in Miracle Mile, in the corner by the breezeway. That was late 80's/early 90's.

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2021, 07:34:12 PM »
Don't blame it on your dad!!!
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline ataudio

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2021, 07:14:09 PM »
This is sad news. I too visited his downtown store many times as a teenager. He and his staff were always very welcoming knowing full well I didn't have any money. I did eventually buy my Belles preamp and power amp from him. I also wanted the Spica tc50s but never had the chance to pick them up. He is the one of the most memorable figures in my entire audio journey. Glad to hear he touched so many people both in the audio world and medical realm.