Author Topic: Marantz 2220 issues  (Read 1262 times)

Offline DristOban

• FNG !!!
Marantz 2220 issues
« on: May 09, 2021, 05:22:58 PM »
Hi All,

I have a of couple marantz 2220 and 2226. The 2220 had not been set up in a while with moving and having a kid. I got it out the other day and started giving it a little TLC to use on my work bench as I am working on a few other items and just wanted something small and great sounding to test with. However as soon as I plugged it in I had a hum and high volume level coming out of the left speaker. It seams to to at about 60-75% volume. If you turn the amp up over that it evens out with the right speaker and continues to increase in volume. I tried the second set of speaker outputs and I get the same results. Tone, Balance, and all other controls work but still unable to turn down the left channel. I popped the cover but nothing stuck out (no leaking caps or burned resisters that I could see). I am sure it would benefit from being fully recapped but not sure that is the issue.

Any ideas?

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Marantz 2220 issues
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 09:08:59 PM »
Over my head.   I will be watching to see if anyone offers you some good advice.

Offline quaddriver

• FNG !!!
  • 120 Whats? per channel
Re: Marantz 2220 issues
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 11:49:16 AM »
If it has not been done yet, recap it.  the whole thing.  hum (not static) is 60 or 120hz generally coming from a PS or filter that went south.

On those era marantz, they were famous for using caps whose voltage tolerances were to close to the rail.  for example the rail is 15v and they use a 16v filter.  as it ages, that 16 falls under 15 and there ya go.

My personal rules of thumb:

up all PS caps but at least 1 voltage jump.  i.e. 16 with 25, 25 with 35 etc.

then do all the local filters on each board (easy to spot, they will be in the 100-220uf range)

then in tone and phono, find any and all tants (generally 1-3uf) and replace with wima or panny film or real good audio grade ECs

do all that and report back...