Author Topic: Sony MHC-3500 problems  (Read 1590 times)

Offline asbefore

• FNG !!!
Sony MHC-3500 problems
« on: June 03, 2021, 11:17:11 PM »
hi there -- I have an old Sony MHC-3500 mini hifi.
The cassette deck unit is long gone, as is the CD changer - they died a long time ago when the kids were little.

But now I have a pesky problem -- when I play audio through the Phono or Aux connections, I only get the right speaker. You'd think something is wrong with the speaker ---- but when I play radio through the Tuner, I get both right and left.

What can it be?

Thank you!

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
Re: Sony MHC-3500 problems
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 05:46:47 AM »
Hi asbefore...  My first thought would be the selector switch (phono/aux/tuner/etc.).  Try ?giggling? that switch or selecting various different functions ?quickly?.  Deoxit will probably help...

gdv
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 08:14:48 AM »
I suggest reversing the cables to see if the problem is your unit or the source component (or the cables)
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 12:08:46 PM »
Hi asbefore...  My first thought would be the selector switch (phono/aux/tuner/etc.).  Try ?giggling? that switch or selecting various different functions ?quickly?.  Deoxit will probably help...

gdv

And the balance control.   While you are in there, just Deoxit all of the switches and pots.

Offline asbefore

• FNG !!!
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 11:16:01 PM »
are you guys suggesting I open the unit up and Deoxit from the inside -- or just spray some deoxit on it from the outside without taking it apart?

the other weird thing is that this unit has a "surround" button on the amplifier, despite the fact that it only has connections for two speakers. I suppose it's "fake" surround -- but either way, when I press "Surround",  sound appears in the previously muted left speaker -- but it's not quite balanced.

thank you all!

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot