Author Topic: New turntable in vintage receiver issue  (Read 4433 times)

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: New turntable in vintage receiver issue
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2021, 08:43:17 AM »
Michael-If you level match the phono volume to the CD player, do the issues remain?  Or, is the bass reduced while the volume is also reduced?
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Michael L

• FNG !!!
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2021, 01:19:54 PM »
Wiring can only be seen in the headshell. Where it meets the tonearm is a sealed 4 pin connector. No other wires visible in tonearm. The wiring in the headshell has 2 points of contact each for all 4. Are you thinking that the factory assembly may be in error?

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2021, 02:43:56 PM »
Does your headshell look like this?

If so, unscrew the barrel while holding the headshell firmly. Once removed, flip it over. You should see a red, white, green, blue set of wires. Make sure each wire goes to the correct post on the cartridge and is seated firmly. Reinstall.

Also, is the tracking force set within specs of the cartridge?

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2021, 03:51:53 PM »
Wiring can only be seen in the headshell. Where it meets the tonearm is a sealed 4 pin connector. No other wires visible in tonearm. The wiring in the headshell has 2 points of contact each for all 4. Are you thinking that the factory assembly may be in error?

Yes, I think it is worth checking.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2021, 04:17:23 PM »
OOOPs...I missed a couple posts when I replied earlier. I missed Macgeek's findings on the cart being moving iron.

You may want to consider a phono preamp. The TT plugs into the phono pre and the phono pre plugs into the AUX input. You can find some very cheap units like the Art DJ for $50 or less. However, you may want to go a little bit up the ladder and gets one that allows capacitance loading. This can also be achieved with resistors and rca plugs.

OR...you could get a set of attentuator plugs for the CD player. These will "lower the volume" of the CD player. I have not used these and cant suggest which value to get, just an option.
https://www.amazon.com/Harrison-Labs-Line-Level-Attenuator/dp/B0006N41AG/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1SGMESBOEBO3B&keywords=attenuator+rca&qid=1640034737&sprefix=attenuator+rca%2Caps%2C60&sr=8-3

Now you're knee deep into the thrills of vintage and non vintage audio!

Offline Michael L

• FNG !!!
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2021, 06:03:51 PM »

If so, unscrew the barrel while holding the headshell firmly. Once removed, flip it over. You should see a red, white, green, blue set of wires. Make sure each wire goes to the correct post on the cartridge and is seated firmly. Reinstall.

Yes, same type cartridge. I'll do my best to describe the wiring sequence in it. Looking at the back of stylus, coming from the needle, top left= wht, top rt= green, bottom left= red, bottom right= blue. Now looking at where the wires go to the 4 way pin top left= white, top rt= red, bottom left= blue, bottom rt= green. This viewing the headshell as it would be attached to tonearm with needle on bottom.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2021, 08:49:38 PM »

Yes, same type cartridge. I'll do my best to describe the wiring sequence in it. Looking at the back of stylus, coming from the needle, top left= wht, top rt= green, bottom left= red, bottom right= blue. Now looking at where the wires go to the 4 way pin top left= white, top rt= red, bottom left= blue, bottom rt= green. This viewing the headshell as it would be attached to tonearm with needle on bottom.

My Ortofon 2M blue (I'm pretty sure it's the same body) has colors painted next to the pins, so just check that to see if it's correct.   As far as the headshell goes, you can see the proper wiring configuration here.

http://www dot youtube dot com/watch?v=chUgF3PxV0w&t=130s

Sorry for having to mangle the address.   That's a bug in this board.   Just replace the word dot with a dot and you'll see the video.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 08:51:57 PM by Sir Thrift-a-Lot »

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2021, 08:55:24 PM »
Let's see if this photo works...

Offline Michael L

• FNG !!!
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2021, 11:47:45 PM »
Good video, thank you Sir. I'll put it to use next week when I'm home from travel. My wires match the sketch going into the 4 point pin in the tonearm but not coming from the headshell. I will call Fluance about all this next week. Thanks to all for the ideas and Merry Christmas to everybody.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2021, 08:33:24 AM »
As long as they match at the headshell end the cartridge is color coded.

Offline Michael L

• FNG !!!
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2022, 07:48:10 PM »
Here's an update. Received this from the turntable manufacturer and as a result I've ordered a preamp. Will update after that is installed.

https://support.fluance.com/s/article/Why-isn-t-my-turntable-as-loud-as-my-CD-player

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2022, 11:15:53 PM »
Have fun.