Author Topic: Brickwalled recordings  (Read 2488 times)

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
Brickwalled recordings
« on: January 26, 2022, 05:06:48 PM »
I listen to mostly vinyl, but I suppose this applies to CD's as well and streaming. A few nights ago I pulled out Audioslave's self titled album on Music on Vinyl. I have to say this is the absolute worst MOV album I've heard, by a long shot. Reviews on two previous (non MOV) pressings are even worse. Generally, I really like MOV releases. The whole band sounds like they are standing on top of each other in a bathroom. No dynamics at all, turning it up just smashes things together even more.

I'm curious if there have been brickwalled releases that have been remixed or corrected in some way. In today's age of bottom line first and serious listeners being an overall very small percentage, I don't feel hopeful the record companies will invest in fixing one of their grand F-ups.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

Re: Brickwalled recordings
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 06:42:50 PM »
I don't know of any way to decompress a recording.   Generally cutting it to vinyl does help to some degree, but evidently not enough in this instance.   I have a couple vinyl pressings that are an improvement over the CD (Springsteen - Magic and REM - Accelerate come to mind), but if MOV is cutting from a bricked digital master, I don't know how much they can do.

For those who may not be familiar...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 06:43:12 PM »

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 06:44:14 PM »
This stupid board, lol.

https://wwwdotyoutubedotcom/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ

Replace the dots with .

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2022, 02:47:59 PM »
Wouldn't the brickwalling come in at the mixing stage? I don't know the whole process, but I assume the master tape/file would be as flat as possible. Then after that all the monkeying around takes place. In any case, running across these sucks regardless.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2022, 03:34:47 PM »
Wouldn't the brickwalling come in at the mixing stage? I don't know the whole process, but I assume the master tape/file would be as flat as possible. Then after that all the monkeying around takes place. In any case, running across these sucks regardless.
Brickwalling can come at any point.   The individual tracks on the multi can be bricked.   The mix to stereo can be bricked.   The master can be bricked as it is converted to digital.   Where it is bricked will determine to what extent the recording can be salvaged later.