Author Topic: Connecting Vintage Pioneer gear  (Read 1799 times)

Offline Detroit313

• FNG !!!
Connecting Vintage Pioneer gear
« on: July 07, 2022, 12:23:34 AM »
Looking for some help. I have a vintage pioneer SX 980 receiver and sg 9800 EQ. Looking for the best way to connect them. I have tried big it just goes not seen right. I get hissing in the speakers when it is on. I think I am connecting it wrong. Any suggestions ?

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Connecting Vintage Pioneer gear
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2022, 07:25:49 AM »
"I have tried big"?

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2022, 08:56:23 AM »
Some pics of the front and rear panels will be helpful
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Detroit313

• FNG !!!
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2022, 03:40:39 PM »
Sorry...that would probably help :)  See attached.  Connecting right to the receiver through the Tape Loop but just not sound right.  Trying to make sure i have it hooked up right through that but I have also been told that I could hook it up directly to the pre amp connections as well.  A bit confused to the right way that sounds good.  I don't want to damage anything.  A bit of a newbie here with this.

Offline Detroit313

• FNG !!!
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2022, 03:45:03 PM »
Sorry about the typos in the original post.  Was trying to do this on my phone....unsuccessfully...

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2022, 10:09:57 PM »
Equalizer output to receiver Tape 1 play.   Equalizer input to receiver Tape 1 record.

If that isn't sounding right perhaps you have switches or pots that need to be cleaned.   Also snap a pic of your EQ front when it is being used but not sounding right.   It's surprisingly easy to make things sound awful with a bad EQ curve.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 10:12:01 PM by Sir Thrift-a-Lot »

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2022, 09:21:21 AM »
Is there any objectionable hiss when listening to your sources with out the eq installed?  Has the hiss level with nothing connected changed lately?  This is a vintage receiver that might need service (as is the eq).

Otherwise, a hiss problem might be caused by an impedance mismatch, although that should be unlikely with two components from the same manufacturer and of the same vintage.  As an aid to diagnosing the problem, I suggest trying to patch the eq between the pre-out main-in loop on the receiver (receiver pre out to eq in, followed by eq out to main in on receiver).

While using this arrangement is generally not preferred when other options are available (such as the one referenced by STaL), the voltage going to the eq will vary depending on the volume setting of the receiver, which in turn may affect the level of hiss, or eliminate it.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Detroit313

• FNG !!!
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2022, 04:37:52 PM »
Connected the proper way but still have hissing from the connection.  Going to try and clean them but might have to get it serviced unless there is something I am missing that would cause it.  I tried connecting to each the tape 1 and tape 2 and it still does it which tells me that it is the connector on the EQ that might be the problem.  Let me know if you have any other suggestions.  Thanks to you both for the help.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2022, 09:52:54 PM »
  Also snap a pic of your EQ front when it is being used but not sounding right.   It's surprisingly easy to make things sound awful with a bad EQ curve.

Offline quaddriver

• FNG !!!
  • 120 Whats? per channel
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2022, 09:26:53 AM »
This is a straightforward loop hook up.  Do not use the pre-out/main in as you need to carefully match levels and its a good way to pop an amp that is getting harder to fix.

can you loop it to something else to look for problems in the SG?