Author Topic: Adapter from car usb to connect to an aux in source (3.5 mm male)  (Read 2132 times)

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
A friend has a 2019 Honda Civic & the only aux in connection is USB?.  Anyone familiar with an adapter to go from car usb to a 3.5mm male or female?

Briefly looked at Cruchfield & they have one for $250!  Ouch!
TIA,
George
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Adapter from car usb to connect to an aux in source (3.5 mm male)
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2022, 02:52:47 PM »
What device are you trying to connect?   If it can't be wired you can always use something like this...

https://www.target.com/p/just-wireless-fm-transmitter-3-5mm-with-2-4a-12w-2-port-usb-car-charger-black/-/A-53271865
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 02:54:48 PM by Sir Thrift-a-Lot »

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2022, 06:25:20 PM »
That amazon website has bunches of these for $7 and up. Search "3.5mm to USB". No clue if these will work with whatever may have hidden inside their radio.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2022, 11:06:23 PM »
That amazon website has bunches of these for $7 and up. Search "3.5mm to USB". No clue if these will work with whatever may have hidden inside their radio.

I don't think that just an adaptor is going to get it done (but that's way I asked what was being hooked up).   If it's a CD player or MP3 player that only has analog out they will need either some sort of ADC to be part of the unit or they can use the FM Transmitter I linked above.

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2022, 09:16:22 AM »
He wants to connect a portable cd player (with cable) to the car stereo.  Which only seems to be thru the USB input...

Thanks for comments/responses so far... 

Sir Thrift, the dc power connection may work...
MacGeek, I have been looking at a few of the items similar to what you suggested, seems the main problem here is the "cheap" adapters do not convert analog to digital, which I believe is what is needed here...

Again, TIA...
George
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2022, 10:59:54 AM »

MacGeek, I have been looking at a few of the items similar to what you suggested, seems the main problem here is the "cheap" adapters do not convert analog to digital, which I believe is what is needed here...

Correct.   You don't need an adaptor, you need a converter.   Huge difference.   An adaptor will just send analog line level to your USB, which will look at it and ask WTF?   That's why I recommended the FM converter.   It is the cheapest way to do what you are looking for.