Author Topic: Hey there  (Read 1982 times)

Offline SabaII

• FNG !!!
Hey there
« on: October 26, 2022, 09:50:03 PM »
Hey everyone. Just started getting into audio. I got some stuff (4x Epicure 20+ Speakers and a Pioneer SX980) from my dad a while back and it's mostly been sitting. Just had the SX980 cleaned and some small repairs made. Now I am moving on to the Epicure 20+ speakers to pair with it. Trouble is younger and dumber me did a number on them. They are in pretty decent shape other than most of the 8" woofers are missing. Don't ask, I really don't remember. Once I get those handled I will move on to acquiring a record player to pair with it. 

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Hey there
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2022, 08:05:33 AM »
Welcome.   I am a big fan of EPI speakers.   When you say "most of" are you talking about the surrounds or did the paper of the cones actually get ripped apart? Refoaming the surrounds is easy and expected for vintage speakers.   If the cones are trash I would probably just watch eBay etc for people parting out EPIs.   That particular 8" woofer was used in hundreds of thousands of speakers.   Or you can buy a pair of their approved replacement speakers (they aren't an exact match though). 

https://www.humanspeakers.com/e/epicure-20.htm

Offline SabaII

• FNG !!!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2022, 08:49:17 PM »
More like, removed from the cabinets and ??? Since they are just flat out missing I was toying with the idea of putting all new stuff in them. Really trying to research which speakers would work well in the cabinet. I know human has a complete rebuild kit but for a fair bit of cash and id need two kits to get at least two of them working. Well for the cost to do that I figured I'd at least see if there is an upgrade path.

I do remember only one speaker worked of the 4. 2 worked but popped and cracked often. The 4th cab didn't have anything working and had a leaky cap. So I'm not wrecking anything that was working anyhow.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2022, 10:32:42 PM »
I know human has a complete rebuild kit but for a fair bit of cash and id need two kits to get at least two of them working.

No, you only need one.   The kit has four woofers, four tweeters and two xovers.   They list the price as "per pair" which may be confusing given there is a pair of drivers in each cabinet, but the kit does a pair of cabinets.   It's not cheap though.

https://www.humanspeakers.com/e/parts/k202e.htm

Edit: Oh I get what you are saying now.   You would need two kits for all four cabs.   Seems like a perfect opportunity to experiment.   You could do one pair with the kit and take one down the upgrade path then compare when finished.   I would be curious to see/hear how the upgrade compares to the original.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 10:35:27 PM by Sir Thrift-a-Lot »

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2022, 10:37:35 PM »
The Parts Express people are good about taking your cabinet measurements and coming up with a woofer than is tuned close to the cabinet volume.

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2022, 10:54:32 AM »
Hey there,

I had EPI M201's for a while that I liked.  It was paired with a Sony STR-6200f.   

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2022, 02:20:32 PM »
You can also search for Genesis Physics drivers, though most searches will end up right back at Human. I'm currently listening to a pair of Genesis Physics 20's in my living room stereo. I have another pair of Genesis 1's. Two good cabs, two good tweeters, only one good 8" driver. If any of those parts help you out, let me know.