Author Topic: Technics SL-P370 not reading TOC/playing discs  (Read 1531 times)

Offline AZLN

• FNG !!!
Technics SL-P370 not reading TOC/playing discs
« on: December 21, 2022, 04:21:35 PM »
Howdy y'all,

I've got a Technics SL-P370 that my mother used to use all the time in the mid to late 90s, and we want to start building our stereo system again. The receiver works fine, then we tried to set up the CD player. It would accept the disc, spin quietly, then do nothing. I took it apart to see just what it was doing inside, and it just spun lazily a few times but didn't retrieve the TOC nor play the disc. I have a video of it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQMnX-Jn_gU

Any ideas how I can get this CD player working again? Thank you so much for your help!

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Technics SL-P370 not reading TOC/playing discs
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2022, 11:20:41 PM »
Howdy y'all,

I've got a Technics SL-P370 that my mother used to use all the time in the mid to late 90s, and we want to start building our stereo system again. The receiver works fine, then we tried to set up the CD player. It would accept the disc, spin quietly, then do nothing. I took it apart to see just what it was doing inside, and it just spun lazily a few times but didn't retrieve the TOC nor play the disc. I have a video of it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQMnX-Jn_gU

Any ideas how I can get this CD player working again? Thank you so much for your help!

What position is the laser in?   Is it returned to the middle or stuck at an edge?   Also, did you attempt cleaning the laser?   Since it's been sitting so long it's possible that it's simply dirty.

Offline AZLN

• FNG !!!
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2022, 11:02:14 PM »
The laser assembly does not stick nor grind, but I don't see it moving either. I've cleaned it with a touch of windex on a Q-tip, but I'm not sure if the laser itself is the problem so much as the assembly itself. Is there a belt that might need replacing?

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2022, 10:06:39 AM »
The laser assembly does not stick nor grind, but I don't see it moving either. I've cleaned it with a touch of windex on a Q-tip, but I'm not sure if the laser itself is the problem so much as the assembly itself. Is there a belt that might need replacing?

I wish I knew.   That is the entire extent of my CD troubleshooting knowledge.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2022, 10:32:46 AM »
I can't help fix the problem, but I suggest not spending any money on it.  Comparable players on ebay and craigs list can be found for well under $100, even $50 and likely less than the cost of repairing it.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline AZLN

• FNG !!!
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2022, 02:09:18 PM »
Thanks y'all. Will shop around for a new one. Any recommendations for a decent one with similar functionality, or should I go for another SL-P370? My mother doesn't really care much about the brand so long as it looks similar to the old one and plays.