Author Topic: Replacement for excellent sub  (Read 2237 times)

Offline RRinChicago

• FNG !!!
Replacement for excellent sub
« on: February 09, 2023, 04:48:28 PM »
Hi all:

I'm new here.  What got me here is the failure of my Velodyne sub.  Equipment:   Marantz SR7015, NAD 2600As in mono, Infinity RS IIs and Velodyne HGS 10.  My 11 x 13 room is set up for a 5.1 surround system which is only used for video.  The room is carpeted, with drapes and furnished with soft textured furniture.  Up to the point where the small room size starts imposing limits on volume, it's an excellent sounding room/system. The HGS 10 is a perfect partner for the Infinitys.  Now it's dead.  For around $300 it appears i can have it repaired at EBC in New Jersey.  I'm hesitating because this is the second HGS sub to fail in two months and the first one (an HGS 12 in a different system) was not repairable by a local technician.  It seems many HGSs are at the end of their life and I am wondering if I should jump ship and try to find an alternative for reasonable money, or cross my fingers and have it repaired.  I can't really afford to go much over $600 and am willing to look at used.  I'd love to know if anyone has made a happy switch to another brand/model. 

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
Re: Replacement for excellent sub
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2023, 10:51:41 AM »
Hi RR…  Welcome to the group…

I would consider trying to replace the plate amp, as I am guessing that was what broke?
Parts Express has some nice replacement amps...  Need to determine your plate amp dimensions first?

HTH,
gdv
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 10:55:45 AM by gdv »
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

Offline RRinChicago

• FNG !!!
Re: Replacement for excellent sub
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2023, 09:25:30 AM »
Thank you for the suggestion.  I had not thought of them though I've bought from them in the past.  Good tip!