Author Topic: Philips 982 Home StereoCenter R Channel Troubleshooting  (Read 2544 times)

Offline penguino

• FNG !!!
Philips 982 Home StereoCenter R Channel Troubleshooting
« on: June 01, 2023, 08:51:51 AM »
Hi all,

I'm a hobbyist tinkerer and cassette / vinyl lover. I moved from the states to Europe in the last year and have been enjoying getting myself set up with a new (to me!) Hi Fi system. I recently acquired a Philips 982 home stereo center, which is a combo turntable, cassette deck, and tuner. I got it for free as it was totally inoperable, and I've since gotten most features working. However, I'm a bit stumped with an issue I've run into and was hoping someone out there with more experience than me could shine some light.

As of now, I am only getting signal out of the left channel heading to the speaker. On this machine there are only 2 outputs for speakers, L & R. They are 5 pin DIN 180* connectors. I've done enough troubleshooting to figure out that the issue lies somewhere before the speaker output. The two fuses are functioning, and the terminals themselves are fine. After probing around the PCB with my multimeter and speaker wires, I have been able to get a buzzing sound coming from the R Channel, but no music. I have inspected and not seen any obviously blown or broken connections, and testing for continuity shows a clear line from the speaker terminals up to the amplifier (i think!).

I'm wondering now what my next step to check would be. I'm pretty handy with this stuff but am not a pro or an electrical engineer. The only copy of the service manual for this machine that I could find online is pretty hard to read for me (image quality as well as component numbers etc), but I've attached it here, as well as a picture of the machine.

If anyone has any thoughts or what you would inspect next, I'd really appreciate it! Can of course post up pictures of the boards and guts if necessary.

Many thanks!

Nick

Manual: http://freeservicemanuals.info/nl/servicemanuals/viewmanual/Philips/22AH982/

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Philips 982 Home StereoCenter R Channel Troubleshooting
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2023, 12:21:30 AM »
I trust you thoroughly cleaned the tape monitor and speaker selector switches, as well as really any switch or pot?

Offline penguino

• FNG !!!
Re: Philips 982 Home StereoCenter R Channel Troubleshooting
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2023, 05:59:28 AM »
Thanks for your reply! and yep...it was pretty dusty after years of sitting I think but I cleaned everything with compressed air and contact cleaner, and inspected for any visible corrosion. I'm going to open it back up this weekend and I will go in specifically to check the tape monitor circuit. The selector switches and everything else are definitely clean. Talking to an electrical engineer friend at work who is not really an audio expert but has some experience with amplifiers suggested I check the mosfets / transistors...does this seems like a logical next step? I don't have an oscilloscope so I need to figure out how to do that check with a multimeter.