Author Topic: Headphones anyone?????  (Read 5255 times)

bmwr75

Headphones anyone?????
« on: March 04, 2010, 06:59:34 PM »
Was sitting here the other day wishing I had a better two channel listening room.  Started thinking why not just eliminate the room from the equation?  Have started researching full-size headphones and headphone amps.  Any one here into this niche of the audiophile world?

Have learned there are high and low impedance cans.  Open back and closed back.  Of course there are synergies with certain amps.

I bought a set of Audio Technica ATH-AD700s after reading Stereophile recommended them.  They don't fit my head well and the open back design makes it hard to listen to them in the same room as the wife watching TV.  Nice sounding cans though.

Am interested to hear your experiences and preferences in this realm.

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
Re: Headphones anyone?????
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 07:19:11 PM »
Headphone fan here.

I've been listening to the Sennheiser HD555s, HD650s, and Grado SR60s. I have found that a headphone amp is necessary for the best sound, especially for good bottom end. There is a Screaming deal on a headphone amp with USB/SPDIF 24bit/192kHz DAC plus analog in and out. Build quality is top notch and the op amps are socketed so you can easily try other ones (although the ones they use are top quality TI parts). I got mine for $170 on eBay from:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AUNE-HIFIDIY-NET-Mini-USB-DAC-Headphone-Amp-MK2_W0QQitemZ350240347903QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item518bf396ff

There are 2 versions. The $160 unit does not have an on/off switch and the $170 one does.

Ron
Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600

bmwr75

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 07:32:45 PM »
I've been leaning towards a tube amp, the Pacific Valve Ming Da MC 84C07.  Considerably more than your recommendation, but lacking a DAC too.   :(   The tube rolling possibilities intrigue me.  Problem is I've read this amp likes high impedance cans and I've not been able to find any >250 ohm cans with closed backs.

Offline paden501

• Audio Geek!
  • Nobody Home
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 09:35:44 PM »
Look at Shure Scott!

I just picked up a set of SRH 440s and I LOVE THEM.  They only ran me like $75 from amazon.  If you've got the extra cash, you can get the SRH 840s which I've heard are even better.

Also, I made my own cMoy amp out of parts from digikey.  The cMoy is very basic, but the place I got the info from has many other DIY designs. You can read about how to do that here.
www.tangentsoft.net

If I stop by next week, I'll bring my Shure cans with me so you can try them out.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 09:37:35 PM by paden501 »
~Matt
--- My System ---
Front L/R: Polk Audio SDA-1C w/ Modified xovers
Amp: Carver TFM-24
CD: Jolida JD100a
HTR/Pre: B&K Reference 20
Turntable:Pioneer PL-516 W/ Shure M97xe
Surrounds -Polk Audio Monitor 4As

Offline thuffman03

• Zen Master
  • CarverFest Evictee
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 10:05:05 PM »
No reason to and I don't want a set.

1.  I spent way too much money not to use my Sunfires
2.  I don't have anyone to tell me I am playing my stereo to loud.
Got Carver?

bmwr75

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 08:54:50 PM »
With such a rosy attitude......its easy to see how you are not volume encumbered.   ;D

Offline confused

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 05:31:24 PM »
I like the sound of speakers!  Headphones sound like the music is in my head.  I still have Koss Pro-4aa, and a set of electrostics (esp-9b) that I never listen to if anyone is interested, would trade or discuss selling.
Dale

-Still Smoking!-

Offline icravcarver

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Vinyl is better than ever!!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 10:06:09 PM »
I only use them if I absolutely have to.  I have way too much invested in my setup to put it throught the cans! :P  Besides, I don't get to work my TFM 55 when I use them.  I had to switch to some Grado SR60's, however, prior to that I used Sennheiser HD420's, which I loved and didn't mind wearing.  Never got any kind of fatigue when I used them, no matter how loud or how long I listened to them.  They still work, but the band that holds the right ear piece on broke, so I can't where them anymore.  Looking for a donor pair to purchase so I can swap out my working pieces.  Like OCCD says - just wait long enough and you will be rewarded.
MAIN SYSTEM:Carver TFM-55, Carver C-16, Carver S/DA-490t, Carver TD-1770, BSR-EQ3000, Philips AF-677, Auvio HD Radio Tuner, Polk SDA-1C's
Man Cave: HR-772, Technics SL-P220, Polk Monitor 12 Series 2
Bedroom: Cheap ass Teac Receiver, Klipsch Heresy II's
Porch: Kenwood KR-820 Receiver, Optimus STS 100