Author Topic: bose acoustimass on steroids  (Read 5981 times)

Offline GraphicFX

• Double Secret Probation!
bose acoustimass on steroids
« on: April 01, 2010, 09:57:50 PM »
OK fellas
Here's a new twist on some 80's technology

If bose was to have me as their high end consumer products advisor, here is what I would do to replace their overpriced acoustimass systems.

I give you a twin velodyne based system with 901 series V's as the satellites

I think it sounds good. I'm curious what you all think of bose's flagship monitor. I know of no speaker that has had so much written about it both great and lousy.

I saw these babies on craigs for 400 with eq and stands. The owner claimed they were perfect. Upon removal of the rear grill on the right speaker revealed the dreaded foam rot.  So out I walked with these babies for $250.  I immediatly contacted "simply speakers" out of tampa florida and ordered the bose cloth surrounds. (with no knowledge of how to refoam drivers). While I was waiting delivery, I painstakingly scraped and wiped away any and all remains of the original foam and glue until the speakers were hanging by their voice coils and nothing else. Trust me, removing foam from 18 drivers is a lesson in patience and staying power.  It turns out that the new surrounds went on without a hitch; so easy in fact, I felt that I was doing something wrong. Waiting 24 hours for the glue to dry proved me wrong.

These things sound sweet with that warm subdued bose signature sound.

After some seat time with them I became aware of their lack of crispness. In keeping with their reflected sound design, I thought of no better use for my linaeum tweeted speakers then to use them as tweeters. Those linaeum tweeters project sound 360 degrees allowing them to blend-in rather then draw attention to themselves. So I disconnected the woofer and spent the rest of my evening finding the best position for them. They seemed to blend best BELOW the 901's rather then above them as in a conventional speaker.

Rather then running the 901's as satellites, I chose to run them full range.

The Addition of two Velodyne Servo F1200's as a stereo pair adds warmth and resonance to the already basey 901's

The sound is full, warm and very "open". (due in part to the addition of what I feel is the best sounding and least fatiguing tweeter ever produced.) and of course the velodynes speak for themselves.

Again, I like em. Tell me what you all think of 901's
Once again. Auditions welcome.

It's getting late, so turn it down and go to bed.
Velo-guy
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 10:24:39 PM by GraphicFX »
Main system
Pre-amp: Adcom GTP-350
Main Amplification: Crown PS-400
Surround Amplification: Crown PS-400
Mains: Polk SDA-2B Studio
Rear fill: Polk RTA-12
Subs: (3) Velodyne F1200b

Offline thuffman03

• Zen Master
  • CarverFest Evictee
Re: bose acoustimass on steroids
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 10:48:24 AM »
Out of the entire Bose line of speakers, the 901's are the only ones that I would consider owning.  Well I did have a set a while back.  I replaced them with my Carver ALIII's and, well, I am not missing them. :o

Proper placement, a 200+ wpc amp and a sub are a must to get any good sound out of them. 

The one thing I really did like about them is that they can get very loud.  Great for a party.  The guy who bought mine is a DJ and they will take large amounts of power and just keep getting louder.
Got Carver?

Offline GraphicFX

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 11:31:05 AM »
Thanx for the comment Tuffman any more takers?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 01:49:18 PM by GraphicFX »
Main system

Offline confused

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 06:10:50 PM »
I liked 501's also.  Had the original 901's, sealed cabinetand had cloth surrounds and all 8 ohm speakers with the equalizer.  Tore up several receivers driving them, but I did like the sound.  Great party speakers and good sounding.

Don't like the new 901's as well (ported design).  Do not seem to go as low as I remember the sound.
Dale

-Still Smoking!-

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 07:43:00 AM »
I keep catching grief over mine, but they have taken every thing I could throw at them and yelled for more. With a good sub, I think they are more than adequate speakers. Every time I get around the so called audiophiles they try to set up their speakers like the Bose with rear deflection. Reason...It sounds damn good!!! Yet they are the first to damn them!!!! Go figure??????  :o :o :o
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline confused

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 10:22:45 AM »
Kingman,

Speakers have to sound good to you, you listen to them.  Sometimes I find the audiophile speakers to polite, and often unable to ROCK.  Bose speakers fill the room, audiophile speakers create a space in front of you (excluding di or bipoles).  I like Maggies, which I know have taken a hit recently with some of our members.

You should enjoy your sound, because it is your sound.  You put it together to match your tastes.

Sometimes I think we get to hung up on equipment and forget the music.
Dale

-Still Smoking!-

Offline GraphicFX

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 11:42:54 AM »
Kingman,

Speakers have to sound good to you, you listen to them.  Sometimes I find the audiophile speakers to polite, and often unable to ROCK.  Bose speakers fill the room, audiophile speakers create a space in front of you (excluding di or bipoles).  I like Maggies, which I know have taken a hit recently with some of our members.

You should enjoy your sound, because it is your sound.  You put it together to match your tastes.

Sometimes I think we get to hung up on equipment and forget the music.

I find my audio habit to be a journey and not a destination. I buy something new, Think I have found the nexus of perfect sound, then over time I find flaws instead. I don't think I'm alone here but it's that yearning for accurate reproduction of the source which keeps our habit alive. I find these 901's nowhere near perfect but they sure are enjoyable to listen to. So now I have speakers that can take way more then what I am throwing at them and so the quest continues....  Now I need to throw more at them so It's time for an amp.

http://classdaudio.com/ I figure with this kit and some plexiglass I can make a cool looking amp for about 2 bills

anyone hear of these guys?

Keep the comments coming
Main system