Author Topic: Polk SDA-2s For Sale  (Read 8382 times)

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
Polk SDA-2s For Sale
« on: March 27, 2010, 11:52:06 PM »
It's time to say good bye to some old friends.  These speakers were the reason that I joined the Polk Audio Forum and community of vintage audio enthusiasts.  These speakers have provided me the opportunity to make many good friends and hear all types of audio equipment.  

I am the second owner of these beauties and I have treated them with loving care.  These speakers are the original SDA-2s with two tweeters and three woofers.  I have replaced the original tweeters with the RDO-194 soft domes, the crossovers have been upgraded with Sonicaps, Mills resistors, and Vampire speaker terminals.  These speakers are not as popular as the later generation SDA-2A and SDA-2B.  I like these speakers and they have two stereo woofers, one midrange and one mid bass.  To my ears these speakers a little more bass, and a tighter bass.  As you would expect with the mid bass woofer.

These have received nothing but the finest care.  It's hard to put a price on these since I have about $500 in parts just for the upgrades.  I am going to ask $400 for these speakers.  The SDA-s can be bought for a lower price, but with $500 in upgrade hardware, I think $400 is a fair price.  The speakers come with the original blade/blade interconnect.  I cannot ship these so these are offered for pick-up only in Monroeville, PA which is 25 miles East of Pittsburgh.

Thanks for looking and here are a few pictures:

Thanks for looking!

« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 11:54:14 PM by schwarcw »
Carl

bmwr75

Re: Polk SDA-2s For Sale
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 06:59:34 AM »
Carl,

What speakers are you changing to?

Scott

Offline schwarcw

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 10:15:23 AM »
Hi Scott!

I am keeping the big SDA-SRS 2.3's that you can see in the background of my pictures.  The 2.3s are the speakers we were listening to when you came over in December.  The 2.3s have had the same upgrades with the RDO tweeters and the Sonicap/Mills upgrades to the crossovers. 

The SDA-2s are some of the more musical speakers in the Polk line of SDAs.  These speakers are not puny.  They are 42" tall and weigh 85 lbs each and can produce a sweet soft sound with a lot of ambience, while still capable of thunderous bass and a chest thump with a impact of a floor drum/  I was using these as rears in my oversize HT.  But I've got to straight 2 channel with the big screen upstairs in the living room.
Carl

bmwr75

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 06:00:36 PM »
Good to hear Carl......just checking to see if you had fell off the audio bandwagon.  ;-)

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 08:14:22 PM »
Nice Carl.. Never seen those before, with three woofers..

Offline paden501

• Audio Geek!
  • Nobody Home
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 11:36:49 PM »
Sweet stuff Carl.  I hope somebody here picks these up from you and loves them as much as you have.

~Matt
--- My System ---
Front L/R: Polk Audio SDA-1C w/ Modified xovers
Amp: Carver TFM-24
CD: Jolida JD100a
HTR/Pre: B&K Reference 20
Turntable:Pioneer PL-516 W/ Shure M97xe
Surrounds -Polk Audio Monitor 4As

Offline schwarcw

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 10:49:11 PM »
SALE PENDING
Carl

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 11:08:43 PM »
I wish I had the room, I would have snagged them.  Those are fantastic sounding speakers. ;D
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline desperado915

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 03:25:55 PM »
Do these have the peerless tweets?

Offline schwarcw

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 06:42:07 PM »
No, they originally had the SL1000, I replaced these with the RDO-194 "soft dome" tweeter.  Which is probably a little better than the Peerless IMHO.

these speakers are sold
Carl