Author Topic: U-P-G-R-A-E-Y-D-D  (Read 8508 times)

SunnyDaze

U-P-G-R-A-E-Y-D-D
« on: May 11, 2010, 01:44:16 AM »
I'm sure some of you saw the Paradigm 9seMk3's on Craigslist. I did too. I emailed the guy as soon as they went up. I picked them up before the game tonight. Here's what they look like, all set up. They're bi-wired via the M-504. I need more listening time, but, for now, I'll just say WOW.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 08:47:16 PM by SunnyDaze »

SunnyDaze

Re: U-P-G-R-A-Y-D-D
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 03:46:58 AM »
After 3 1/2 hours of listening to all digital music via mp3 fed through my Mac, Wow. Just wow. Going from Infinity bookshelves to these things is like nothing I could have imagined. I realize they aren't exactly Diamond 800's, but they're far superior to anything that I've ever owned, or heard live and in person. Since I got the sub pretty well tuned in with the Mk3's, I haven't really moved off of my recliner to dig for records. I'm kinda stunned. After only a few hours with these boxes, those terms I've always only heard such as: "soundstage", "imaging", "depth", "insert other audiophile-ish words here..." seem to carry some meaning to them!

Now the techy side:

The Mk3's sound like they begin to roll off around 50hz. There's somewhat useable bass below that, plus the bass down to that point is strong and clear. I've set the LPF on my sub to 50hz (lowest setting), it's a 24db slope. All things considered, this puppy should put out the business loud and clear all the way down to the subsonic filter at 18hz.

And I'm seriously listening to Rhinestone Cowboy at 3:46 am!

« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 04:52:57 AM by SunnyDaze »

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 09:51:51 AM »
I think that if you like em I LIKE EM!!!!  8) 8) 8) Very nice system!!!
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline thuffman03

• Zen Master
  • CarverFest Evictee
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 10:05:40 AM »
Nice score on the new speakers!
Got Carver?

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 10:23:24 AM »
Very Cool  8)

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 01:42:23 PM »
The 9se are serious speakers.. You should get better bass, maybe it is the room placement. I had a pair that had good output down in to the mid 30's.
  Congrats on the score. Your system is looking great.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 01:54:54 PM »
What do you have your speakers and sub sitting on?
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 02:49:02 PM »
The basement room is an acoustic nightmare. Most of the walls are paneling or drywall. The ceiling is barely 6 1/2 feet. The room dog legs off to the left, as you can almost see in the pictures. I know it's less than ideal, but it's all I've got to work with at the moment.

The speakers and sub are sitting on ye-olde Home Depot pre-fab concrete slabs. I used the white sticky tack stuff to adhere round metal door stoppers to the slabs, then I sat the speakers on them. The floor beneath the carpet is plywood over concrete. The sub was losing some serious mojo sitting on the carpet.

I know it's not the most aesthetically pleasing solution, but, it works none the less.

Why do I have the Paradigms up on the slabs? Because I'm 6'4" and I like to have the tweeters at or as close to ear level as possible when I'm in my recliner.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 02:51:26 PM by SunnyDaze »

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 08:39:27 PM »
Lol love that movie!
HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable

NATOE

Re: U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 10:24:12 PM »
I saw this U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D  earlier in the day and that is what came to mind cause the movie was on the other day but the words just reminded me of the plate on that car. so thanks for posting the pic AL.  the double d is for double dose i think. hehe
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 12:05:12 AM by Master Blaster »

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: U-P-G-R-A-E-Y-D-D
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 09:52:47 AM »
Forgot about that movie, that's a weird one.

"Welcome to AOL Time Warner Taco Bell US Government Long Distance. Please say the name of the person you wish to call."
"Upgrayedd."
"There are 9,726 listings for "Upgrayedd". Please deposit $2,000 to begin connection."

OldiesButGoodies

Re: U-P-G-R-A-E-Y-D-D
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 08:24:11 PM »
I saw those Paradigms in CG too.  Nice. 

I have owned at least ten Paradigms so far and they never disappoint.

Pepe