Author Topic: May update for 2 channel system  (Read 6410 times)

Offline tinpan

• Audio Geek!
    • VA Gold
May update for 2 channel system
« on: May 21, 2010, 11:24:31 AM »

Here's the latest on my 2 channel system, btw, the Airport Express is out of the penalty box. I love it now and I have an Apple TV on my HT set up.

Hope you guys like reading....alot. :P

First you guys saw all of my stuff coming out of storage. It wasn't pretty, the only thing working out of that pile was one TFM 15cb

Then my new amps arrived from Tom

This is what it's looking like now. Notice furniture is getting shoved out of the room. More on that later.
Here you can see the Cain and Cain Abbeys, a full range speaker nestled between the Klipsch monsters.

My Carver stack is holed up in a temporary tv stand, one amp is driving the Heresey's and the other is driving a pair of Cornwalls. The Heresey's were a recent score on CL for $ 150 bucks. I am using a Cambridge Audio Majic Dac to feed the Carvers and the Bottle Head

My now second favorite amp, the Bottle Heads i got from YSRACER. I learned a lot with this amp. To begin with it was just ok sounding. It didn't sound all that well on the Cornwalls. I have been wanting a set of Cain & Cain Abbey's and scored a set from a newly acquired buddy on Audiogon. That really made the Bottle Heads sound nice but when I added the Magic Dac  that really set it off. I also discovered that the cheesy red & white patch cords i had been using were bad. I replaced one and I finally got the sound i was looking for. Since then i ordered all new heavy duty patch cords and threw my 20 year old ones away. Some things just never last do they?

I met Matt, my new Audiogon buddy,  the other day and picked up a set of Sound Anchor speaker stands from him for my other two channel system and he lent me a set of Cardas speaker wires, which you now see in the photos. I also ordered a set of Anti Interconnects and Anti Speaker cable which should be in next week.

So the Bottle Heads taught why i want to burn $ 100 on a set of nice interconnects and a couple hundred bucks on some nice speaker cables.

This system sounds amazing now.

Now I am facing a couple problems. I have too many speakers jammed into one space. I'm not sure where to go with this system now. Ultimately I want to upgrade the Bottle Heads to an Audio Note Mono Block system.

I need to move the Cornwalls & Hereseys out though. I could use them for the front channels in my HT set up in the family room and move the Epic CF-3s back down to this room. I could even bi-amp  the CF-3's. They are version 1's which have a nice following in the Klipsch community.

Or, I could sell the Carver stack and the some of Klipschs all together.

Tubes are a bad bad thing. YSRACER started all of this withe the Bottle Heads, but Matt really poured gas on the fire when I picked up the Abbey's from him at Deja Vu Audio in McLean.

Tinpan

If you can read this message, thank a teacher.
If you are reading it in english, thank a veteran

Offline YSRACER

• FNG !!!
Re: May update for 2 channel system
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 01:34:00 PM »
"Tubes are a bad bad thing. YSRACER started all of this withe the Bottle Heads........."

Sorry, tinpan !

BTW, I gots more.........  How about a Dodd Audio 8 watt stereo amp.  Uses 5687 tubes on the outputs and sounds  ;D
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 01:41:38 PM by YSRACER »
Squeezebox w/Welborne Labs PS / Benchmark DAC1 / Emotive Audio Erato / Aspen Lifeforce / Speaker of the Month

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 02:45:37 PM »
Too much equipment?  That's not a problem, that's a blessing.  Nice gear Tinpan!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 02:48:22 PM by RevAmish »

Offline tinpan

• Audio Geek!
    • VA Gold
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 03:34:24 PM »
That looks nice but I'm holding out for a set of 300b monoblocks.

Dude, you should hear that amp on those Cains...utter sweetness.
Tinpan

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 06:08:53 PM »
Very nice!!! ;D

Here are the new Petie built Dynaco MK III's . They sound great. ;)
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline YSRACER

• FNG !!!
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 07:58:19 PM »
That looks nice but I'm holding out for a set of 300b monoblocks.

Dude, you should hear that amp on those Cains...utter sweetness.

See:  http://db.AudioAsylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=amp&n=2749&highlight=dodd+8+watt

There's a comment from Danny Ritche about comparison to 300B amps in the comments that follow   8)
Squeezebox w/Welborne Labs PS / Benchmark DAC1 / Emotive Audio Erato / Aspen Lifeforce / Speaker of the Month

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 08:18:18 PM »
That looks sick (in a good way).  Looks like a happy place to spend hours listening to tunes.   WAF prob low,  but that is why it is so good!

Pepe

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 11:57:39 PM »
Congrats on a super setup Tinpan.  Those Bottleheads are beauties!
Carl

Offline tinpan

• Audio Geek!
    • VA Gold
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 06:32:42 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement. No WAF to worry about ovarian cancer claimed her four years ago. 

I work out of my house so that is actually my home office. I do get into trouble occasionally when I mis-hit the mute button on con calls.

Let's hear a little more about the Dodd Amp and MK III's. Are you trying to find homes for them  ;D

My anti cables came in yesterday. I'll hook them up tonight
Tinpan

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 08:26:18 AM »
Your set up looks nice!!! Sorry to hear about the wife...cancer fn SUX...in any form.
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 04:38:26 PM »
 :(   

Oouch - sorry about your wife passing.   We are making progress defeating cancer but it still claims many victims. 

Nice setup - I end up avoiding large speakers like the Heresys because of WAF (except Maggies,  I use the excuse that they are thin and can be set against the wall while not in use -  but of course they are always in use   :D)

Pepe