Poll

Which do you prefer Vinyl or CD?

Vinyl
CD

Author Topic: Which do you prefer Vinyl or CD? Poll  (Read 6998 times)

Offline mikey813

• Audio Connoisseur
Which do you prefer Vinyl or CD? Poll
« on: May 27, 2010, 03:23:12 PM »
Which do you prefer to listen to Vinyl or CD. Vote to see the current winner.  ;D ;D ;D ;D
True Image CM-2500, Terra Song SS-1, Denon       DCD-1520, Sony CA8es, Kef K140, Definitive Technology DR-7
youtube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Callof813

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • Ready For Intervention!
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
Re: Which do you prefer Vinyl or CD? Poll
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 07:29:36 PM »
So far it is not looking very good for the old CD. :o
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 09:23:09 PM »
So far it is not looking very good for the old CD. :o

Old? Which came first?

What about a cd behind a tube buffer?
HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 10:00:35 PM »

What about a cd behind a tube buffer?

I like my tube buffer between the pre and amp, vinyl sounds great with it. So does CD.

Offline icravcarver

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Vinyl is better than ever!!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 11:21:03 PM »
I have to admit, once I got the tubed CDP (Carver 490t), I was starting to get back into my CD's.  But overall, I say, even though they are harder to store and clean, I don't think you can beat vinyl!! 8)
MAIN SYSTEM:Carver TFM-55, Carver C-16, Carver S/DA-490t, Carver TD-1770, BSR-EQ3000, Philips AF-677, Auvio HD Radio Tuner, Polk SDA-1C's
Man Cave: HR-772, Technics SL-P220, Polk Monitor 12 Series 2
Bedroom: Cheap ass Teac Receiver, Klipsch Heresy II's
Porch: Kenwood KR-820 Receiver, Optimus STS 100

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 03:46:24 AM »
CD and SACD for me.

I have to say and I don't mean to insult anyone (I really don't), but looking at what folks are using for a CD player here I'm not surprised vinyl gets your vote even with the surface noise, lack of dynamic range and the diminished high frequencies from playing. Inexpensive and/or old CD players sound like crap.
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline thuffman03

• Zen Master
  • CarverFest Evictee
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 10:20:01 AM »
Since I don't have a TT and I listen mostly to streaming media I will vote for the CD.  But I have to say I like both.
Got Carver?

SunnyDaze

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 04:00:31 PM »
CD and SACD for me.

I have to say and I don't mean to insult anyone (I really don't), but looking at what folks are using for a CD player here I'm not surprised vinyl gets your vote even with the surface noise, lack of dynamic range and the diminished high frequencies from playing. Inexpensive and/or old CD players sound like crap.

Perhaps it's not the the "sound" of CD vs wax that is truly being compared. Surface noise, a lack of dynamic range, and other sonic imperfections do undoubtedly exist with vinyl and are surely a factor in the scenario. I don't think that anyone would question that a more "faithful" reproduction of the source material across the audible spectrum does indeed come from a capable digital source. If I want to distinctly hear the buried echo of the telephones ringing in the background of the studio in Led Zeppelin's "The Ocean", I cue the CD, or even run the mp4 via Apple Lossless off of my Mac Pro through my system. With the simple push of a button, music is faithfully reproduced.

But, when I sit down and "listen" to music, CD's and mp3's are the last thing on my mind. I enjoy the artistic pageantry and the physical simplicity that accompanies vinyl. It's a beautiful thing. A tiny chunk of a sculpted mineral at the end of a cantilever tracks a vinyl groove. A changing magnetic field that is mathematically isomorphic to the topology of the groove sends an analogous electrical current flying down a superhighway of wiring and into your components.

I own 2 or 3 copies of a few albums on both CD and vinyl. One of these is The Clash on Broadway, of which I own two copies on CD. One disc looks like it's been washed with a sandblaster, the other looks brand new. I notice that they both play identically. Due to the probabilistic nature of the transfer of digital information, what would be heard as a crack or a pop from an analog source is compensated for by the hardware.

The medium of vinyl requires care and dedication. In my opinion, it's more of a listening experience. From tip to tail, I feel more involved in the music when I listen to vinyl. Not to mention the acquisition of records. Between yard sales and flea markets, Jerry's and grandparents' attics, there's nothing like finding a crisp clean pressing of something off the wall.

Except of course, maintaining those albums. As we all know, digital sources do not degrade in quality due to usage over time. Analog sources do. For me, that spawns a deeper sense of appreciation for the music itself. Vinyl seems to walk the artistic and temporal side of the line much more so than digital music. That significance to me is greater than the presence of surface noise, diminished high frequencies, and lack of dynamic range.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 07:36:58 PM by SunnyDaze »

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 01:08:55 AM »
Ah yes, the romance aspect. I grew up on vinyl, glad to be rid of it.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

SunnyDaze

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 05:49:04 AM »
Ah yes, the romance aspect. I grew up on vinyl, glad to be rid of it.

Ha! Where was I when you were getting rid of it?  ;D

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 08:49:02 AM »
SUnnydaze, you need to be writing for a magazine!
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 10:37:19 AM »
Which do I prefer? ... Depends ... Are you talking about sound quality or overall satisfaction?

Too me, the best Vinyl seems to sound better than the CD counterpart. But I have found that a good pressing on vinyl is rare (relatively speaking).

In general, for ease of use, the ability to rip to a hard drive, unit to unit consistency, low noise, longevity, storage, availability, portability, isolation from external vibration, damage resistance, and low maintenance, CD is my preference.

Ron
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 10:56:29 AM by rgpit »
Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600

Offline icravcarver

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Vinyl is better than ever!!!!
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 08:12:20 PM »
CD and SACD for me.

I don't disagree with you there Jesse, and unfortunately my pocket book will limit to the older vintage audiophile gear, such as my 490t, which in all fairness, is a hell of a CDP.  Yes, technology has come leaps and bounds and there are many nicer, newer units with a heck of a lot more ability than these older units.  But also, aren't we going to be limited by the other components that the sound has to pass through, i.e. receivers, amps, preamps, speakers, etc. 

Again, this gets into feel and how something sounds to someone, which is subjective, so it is a matter of taste.  And I have to admit, there are some albums that I like the sound of the vinyl counterpart over the CD and vice-a-versa.

Respectfully,

Neil
MAIN SYSTEM:Carver TFM-55, Carver C-16, Carver S/DA-490t, Carver TD-1770, BSR-EQ3000, Philips AF-677, Auvio HD Radio Tuner, Polk SDA-1C's
Man Cave: HR-772, Technics SL-P220, Polk Monitor 12 Series 2
Bedroom: Cheap ass Teac Receiver, Klipsch Heresy II's
Porch: Kenwood KR-820 Receiver, Optimus STS 100

SunnyDaze

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 09:20:10 PM »
SUnnydaze, you need to be writing for a magazine!

What makes you so sure that I don't?

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 10:25:32 PM »
But also, aren't we going to be limited by the other components that the sound has to pass through, i.e. receivers, amps, preamps, speakers, etc.   

All true Neil, but it starts with the source. Garbage in, garbage out.