Author Topic: FNG here...time to say hello.  (Read 7741 times)

Offline ataudio

• Double Secret Probation!
FNG here...time to say hello.
« on: June 03, 2010, 12:41:06 AM »
Hello all.   

Been lurking around for a few weeks and thought its about time to introduce my self.
I have been involved with music and audio gear since the very early 80's.  Started out with a Sansui
receiver, Omega speakers and some form of turntable that I cant remember....I think it was a Thorens.
Ditched the Omegas for a pair of Haflers...yes he made speakers too.  The Sansui was then replaced by
a Kenwood int. amp.  I think I had a cheap HK tuner then too.  Then came the Belles preamp and Belles
power amp with a Micro Seiki turntable.  Excellent set up...I really wish I never sold that set.  The Haflers went and in came some Fourier speakers.  (Better Sound Concepts when Al had a store in Oakland). Then came TUBES !! The Belles setup was replaced by a Jolida int amp.  Very sweet amp.  I wish I still had it!!!Speakers are now Meadowlark Kestrels.  Then the  Jolida went bye bye a Rogue int amp took its place. The Kestrels were replaced by the Kestrel "HOTRODS".  Then came a Rogue 66 preamp with Rogue M120 monoblocks.  By far the best amplification I have ever owner!!!!  The Kestrel hotrods left shortly after but have been replaced with...drum roll...Meadowlark Ketrel II's.  Yes, I love Medowlark Ketrels. 
Vandersteen sub found its way here too. Front end is a Pioneer Elite PD 65 with MSB DAC.  Audio perfection....for me anyway.  From head to toe all quality products.  Very happy.  Fast forward a few years.  Wife v1.0 leaves. Single for a few years. Met and married wife v2.0.   Now, 2 wonderful girls later, my audio hobby had to take a back seat.  Fast forward a few more years.  Pioneer/Meadowlark/Vandersteen/Rogue just sit...and sit...and sit.  Convinced I would never have time for this hobby again I sell it all. All of it...too cheap too. A couple of more years go by and while playing around on the net I run across vintagehifipgh.com.  Whats this I say.  Hmmm, time to stop by.  Well, after seeing all the neat stuff Tom had in his store I got hooked again.  Time to rebuild.  Got a few decent speakers ((ADS (x2), Scott, Mission, JBL, NHT's, HSU subwoofer)).  Got a really cheap power amp off CL.
Looks like crap but sounds pretty darn good.  Running CDP straight into amp..it has volume controls.
Sounds pretty good for a starter system.  Got a new amp in the works but need a preamp (see my classified ad for a preamp).  During all of this I have built several speakers. Small 2-ways, a few single driver full range systems, a couple of power amps...still have the DECWARE tube amp I built as a kit.  It needs fixed though. A project for another day.  Current front ends are: a couple of NAD cd players. A Denon 520 and 660 cd players. A Philips cd60, a Magnavox 492 (with Philips guts).  So there you have it.  Thats my audio biography since 1980 to present.  Current hobbies are: my kids, my music and photography.  I can talk about audio and photography all day long.  I'm a pretty good DIYer too. I will post a few pics of some of the things I have built soon.  I'm looking forward to meeting more of you guys at the next meeting.  Take care till then.

-Augie

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
Re: FNG here...time to say hello.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 01:10:03 AM »
Welcome to the forum Augie!!!

SunnyDaze

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 01:22:54 AM »
Hello!

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 03:16:50 AM »
Welcome and thanks for the nice introduction. The day I arrived here, everyone ran and hid.....well except for Lurch, he's too effing big to hide.  ;D
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 07:37:47 AM »
WELCOME FROM THE SOUTHLAND!!!!!!     :P    8)    :P
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 09:35:06 AM »
Word Brotha!
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline mikey813

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 09:58:40 AM »
Welcome to the forum.
True Image CM-2500, Terra Song SS-1, Denon       DCD-1520, Sony CA8es, Kef K140, Definitive Technology DR-7
youtube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Callof813

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 12:38:08 PM »
Augie

Welcome from a fellow DIYer! What area are you located?

Ron
Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 12:53:02 PM »
Welcome home!   ;D

As the previous post asked, what part of Pittsburgh?
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

Offline ataudio

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 01:27:35 PM »
...Opps, forgot to mention I live in Shaler.  Grew up in North Hills, moved to Shaler about 16 years ago.
Heres another trip down memory lane for me (and possibly some of you guys)...
Opus One,  Better Sound Concepts, Listening Post, Stereo Land, there was another stereo place in Squirrel
Hill--2nd floor--guy named Paul--cant remember the name of his store. 

Offline thuffman03

• Zen Master
  • CarverFest Evictee
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 02:11:00 PM »
Welcome to the forum!
Got Carver?

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 06:41:18 PM »
Welcome Augie!

Glad to have you join the forum!

Carl
Carl

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 06:49:02 PM »
Welcome aboard!
HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • Ready For Intervention!
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 06:53:47 PM »
Welcome to the club Augie!!!
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

bmwr75

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 09:55:20 PM »
Welcome Augie.  We have met......I bought said Rogue 66 Magnum amd M120 mono-blocks from you and have enjoyed them immensely.  Regretfully this started a very expensive tube habit........thanks.  ;D