Author Topic: Will my Carver MXR 130 handle Magnepan speakers?  (Read 13101 times)

Offline Steve

• FNG !!!
Re: Will my Carver MXR 130 handle Magnepan speakers?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 06:14:16 AM »
Well, I'm getting my original MXR-130 repaired, but what I'm using in another system right now is a Carver HR-752.  It's a pretty good unit, but is rated at 100 watts into 8 ohms.

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2010, 01:54:48 PM »
Hi Steve, I figured I'd chime in here as a Maggie owner.  All good advice and observations from the responses to your thread so i'd just be reiterating what they have already said.  With any model from the SMGa's to the MG20's, they need a tremendous amount of power.  I ran a pair of MG1.6QR's with 150watts at first but it always seemed like something was missing.  I then went to 400wpc and it was a whole new ballgame.  I like Pepe's idea of using the receiver as a preamp.

Offline Steve

• FNG !!!
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2010, 07:41:44 PM »
I like using the MXR130 as a pre-amp, too.  I have noticed that there are some tremendous values on some Carver amps out there.

I have to admit that I've made these plans without (as yet) hearing a single Magnepan, but I'm going to correct that next Thursday when my buddy and I take a day trip to New Orleans.  I shipped the 130 out today, so I'll have it back in about a month, I think.

As I've said before, I loved my old electrostatic speakers and have missed them all this time.  I have a bit more disposable income and it's long past time to get some replacements.  The loyal owner base and the long long lives of Maggies have me thinking they are going to fill the bill.

They're a lot like Carvers in that way, aren't they?   ;D