Author Topic: Picking this up today  (Read 6300 times)

Offline tinpan

• Audio Geek!
    • VA Gold
Picking this up today
« on: September 26, 2010, 09:26:11 AM »
It took my all summer to save up for it and I ordered it a month ago. I got the call Friday that it was ready to be picked up. So in about two hours I will be testing it and bringing it home.

Can you guess what it is?

Tinpan
Tinpan

If you can read this message, thank a teacher.
If you are reading it in english, thank a veteran

Offline mikey813

• Audio Connoisseur
Re: Picking this up today
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 09:54:57 AM »
It looks like some form of a tubed phono pre-amp. Not sure the model though.
True Image CM-2500, Terra Song SS-1, Denon       DCD-1520, Sony CA8es, Kef K140, Definitive Technology DR-7
youtube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Callof813

bmwr75

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 01:07:42 PM »
Show me the other side and I'll hazard a more educated guess.   ;D

See three tubes sockets (one small signal, two power maybe), 1 set of RCA inputs, one set of RCA ouputs and a volume knob.  Preamp?  Headphone amp?

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 01:11:54 PM »
Bose 901 series 8 equalizer????:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline tinpan

• Audio Geek!
    • VA Gold
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 04:21:44 PM »
Alright, here's the other side:

Tinpan
Tinpan

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 04:38:03 PM »
I dunno what it is except it looks like a tube amp and is wayyyyyyyy Kool!!!!  8) 8) 8)
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline mikey813

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 09:38:39 PM »
It is a audio Note Power amp/ Integrated kit I think yours is the power amp version. Looks like it is a 300B or 2A3. Please let me know if I am right.
True Image CM-2500, Terra Song SS-1, Denon       DCD-1520, Sony CA8es, Kef K140, Definitive Technology DR-7
youtube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Callof813

Offline tinpan

• Audio Geek!
    • VA Gold
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 09:29:35 AM »
Little Mikey, right on the money. It's the Audio Note Kit 1 300b. I've been traversing down the full range speaker road and, Matt,  one of my other new audio buddies has been raving about 300b amps driving full range speakers. I listened to an AN Oto at a local retail shop and really liked the sound so I decided to try this one.

Since they come in kits, and I am electrically challenged, Matt introduced my to another new buddy that likes building things,  http://www.digitalpete.org/ (look for the Kit 1 tab).

Matt and i were looking at a DAC Pete built that was impeccable, The wires were neatly bundled and the placement was well thought out, the solder joints were just ridiculous.

With some coaxing, Matt convinced Pete to start building AN kits for a fee. That fit in perfect with my schedule and I now have the first amp he built.

I went to pick this amp up at Pete's place and he had it connected to some Altec Lansing Electro Voice Horn speakers. Sooo... we had a nice chance to listen to that set up. Pete seems bent on refinishing those speakers. My suggestion was to leave them as is and I also suggested that if he does refinish them, Matt and I will scratch them up with screw drivers, another story for another day.

Anyway, I got the amp home yesterday and hooked it up to my Lowther Acoustas. Man what an upgrade, The difference between the Bottle Heads and the AN was incredible. Granted this is a totally different set up, 300b tubes verses 2A3 and 7.5 watts verses 3 watts. All I could think was holy crap what do i have now.

I talked about what components to buy with Pete, Audio Notes offers some nice upgrades, Black Gate capacitors and other things I know nothing about, but i listened to Pete and the upgrades were with in my budget so I went for it.

Yesterday I enjoyed listening to the Lowthers on this amp, today I have it set up to my Cain & Cain Abbeys ( Fostex full range drivers), which I bought off Agon from Matt. Matt's gonna want these speakers back if he ever gets his AN 300b amp.

Next up for me will be to get Pete to build me an AN DAC 3.1.

More later, gotta run for now.

Tinpan
Tinpan

Offline wkhanna

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 08:14:16 PM »
This must be one of best sounding flea-watt full range single driver systems assembled!
I have only read of and seen pics of the Lowther's, but combined with an amp of that pedigree, this system must be V special.

What kind of cabinet are the Lowther's in?

Enjoy!
....just an "ON" switch, Please!

Offline tinpan

• Audio Geek!
    • VA Gold
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 09:52:42 AM »
Hi WKHANNA,

Sorry for the long time to respond. I was swamped with busy season then my company was suspended by a certain gov agency for two and a half weeks. Talk about nail biting.

Anyway, I had this hooked up to a pair of Lowther Acoustas. They have the PM6A driver.

Now I have it hooked to a pair of Cain Abbeys.

It's not the set up to listen to the Who's Won't get fooled again. That needs the amperage of the Sunfire and the Lascala's.

But, acoustic and vocal stuff like Warren Haynes, Jeff Beck or Rebecca Pidgeon, is out of this world.

I have been saving up to buy a pair of Lowther Alerions which feature 5 inch DX 55 or DX 65 drivers. After listening to the Acoustas I am seriously considering going to the Medallion cabinet and a PM2A driver. That is an 8 inch driver.

Dang gotta run again
Tinpan

Offline wkhanna

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 07:33:12 PM »
Hey Tinpan, thanks for the get-back. No reason to apologize, I know how hectic life can be. Glad you still got a job!

My taste in music leans a bit towards OCCD’s (that is a secret I should probably not divulged) but I could just imagine some of my ‘Lounge’ music such as Bill Evans or Art Blakey on that setup. Must be a real treat!

Your aspirations for the higher end Lowthers are well planned. Hope you get there sooner than later.
Some day (hopefully within the next five years) I hope to assemble a flea-watt SET system signally dedicated to vinyl playback.

Till then I will live my fantasy through guys like you.

Enjoy!
....just an "ON" switch, Please!