Author Topic: trade  (Read 5547 times)

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
Re: trade
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 09:23:59 AM »
sk1335...
   Trust me, I don't get hung up on names. I've tried an m500 which had issues, a tfm 25 which had issues, a tfm 22 which I thought sounded decent, and a c-2 which I didn't like. If nothing else I'm left with the idea that Carver gear wasn't built to last. This is just my experience. I know a lot of people out there swear by them, I just don't share their sentiment based on my experience. I share that same philosophy when it comes to NAD. My dad had 2 of their cd players die (one prematurely), and I had one of their flagship receivers go 1 year after the warranty ran out.
   I believe that because Sunfire wasn't built with as low of a cost point in mind, the quality will be superior and the gear will sound superior and last longer. I've never owned Sunfire, so I may be wrong, but like I posted earlier in this thread I would love to give it a try.
   I believe Bob Carver has done some amazing things that have changed the audio world forever. I don't think there has been anyone in the hifi world to date that has been more inventive than him. I just believe that there is a line that a manufacturer can cross when reducing cost results is a lesser product.
   I know these ideas put me in the minority on this forum, but it's just my opinion based on my experience.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline Colinbgood

• Canadian Prick!!!
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 08:52:03 PM »
I hear where you comming from. I have had good experiances with Carver and some bad ones. I have had 2 m500ts, both had issues when i purchased. One I sold, the other I have kept, I had a lot of work done to it. The company that did the work, used to do all the warrenty work for Carver in Canada. They promised it would be better than new. So far it has been better that new. Looks new as well. I live with the fact that most of Carver is getting old and its really necessary to service these amps before they break....replace caps ect. I personally think if you buy a Carver product then get it serviced/rebuilt.  You will have a great product that will last many more years.
Need more Carver! Comming soon a pair of silver 7t's!

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • Ready For Intervention!
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2010, 09:10:24 PM »
I have been in this game for a long time and the used end of it can be hit or miss. :o  Most people list what Carver gear they have. My list is easier for Carver gear I never had.( The tube gear(for now) and the Lightstar 2.0) I have had overall excellent experiences with Carver products since 1984. I have blown up two amps and I deserved it. However, there are some I don't want. Most of which are post Bob pieces.  I am abusing a PM-1.5 amp here right now. I finally was able to get it to shut down( just for a moment until I adjusted the volume) on the plats. :-* Still running...
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 09:30:27 PM by OCCD »
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline Colinbgood

• Canadian Prick!!!
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2010, 09:13:55 PM »
I should bring my PM1.5 down to see how it performs on your plats!

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • glub glub glub
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2010, 09:16:11 PM »
Bring it!  We can  see if it is still strong. ;D Still playing and cutting out of protection mode.  Great amps!!!  Yes, I backed it down a hair. Gotta replace the fan tomorrow. :o
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 09:18:20 PM by OCCD »

Offline Colinbgood

• Canadian Prick!!!
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2010, 09:21:06 PM »
Not to worry, it is, I had it rebuilt by Roland a year ago.  Slighty modded to sound better. 

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • glub glub glub
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2010, 09:31:29 PM »
I may need to have a looksie. The pro amps are not voiced. They leave that to the sound board guys.