Author Topic: Yammy setup  (Read 8090 times)

Offline paden501

• Audio Geek!
  • Nobody Home
Re: Yammy setup
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2010, 06:16:40 PM »
OBG, I think it depends on what your crossovers look like inside the speaker.  I'm assuming you have 4 binding posts on the back of your speaker.... 2 for high pass and 2 for low pass, and they're normally strapped together.

If I were to design such a speaker, I'd have two separate crossover networks then, one per pair of binding posts.  Each would be a passive crossover... I don't know that removing them would be a good idea in your bi-amp senario though, because that may throw the impedance seen by the amplifier all out of whack? (i.e. the crossover adds some amount to the speaker impedance)

Am I reading the article and your post correctly?
~Matt
--- My System ---
Front L/R: Polk Audio SDA-1C w/ Modified xovers
Amp: Carver TFM-24
CD: Jolida JD100a
HTR/Pre: B&K Reference 20
Turntable:Pioneer PL-516 W/ Shure M97xe
Surrounds -Polk Audio Monitor 4As

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2010, 10:45:36 PM »
Well yes, I think you are.  Wiring the tweeter directly on to a high-passed and signal seems to shift things in the impedance load seen by the amp. The time-phase coherence would also be an issue as thenx-0ver would add some delay. So I may in over my head on this. Best to differ to simpler approaches for now!

Offline TNRabbit

• Audio Geek!
  • WTF are you looking at?
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2010, 11:29:47 PM »
Another geek?  Thanks a lot~   :P

What you are doing is known as passive biamping & it has some benefits.  Active biamping is what I did & it has even further benefits, namely freeing up additional power by removing the passive crossovers.

There are @$$hole purists who insist passive biamping isn't "real" biamping.  It may not be perfect, but it has advantages depending on the total system synergy.

Reference the "other geek" thread:  http://vintagehifipgh.com/forum/index.php?topic=945.0
TNRabbit

Carver SD/A-360 CDP feeding  Benchmark DAC-1
Sunfire Theater Grand-IV Processor/Sunfire Cinema Seven Signature Amp
Ashly XR-1001 & Rane PEQ-15s biamping AL-IIIs

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2010, 08:19:47 AM »
Rabbit:

Thanks - my bad for tagging you a geek....  wait a minute!, that is the whole premise that binds us - we are all audio geeks!   The Saturday meeting is a geek meeting!   

Thanks for clarifying the biamping question.

Have a great week all...

Pepe

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • Ready For Intervention!
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2010, 09:20:48 AM »
  control and effeciency
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

bmwr75

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2010, 01:08:54 PM »
Pepe,

Are all your speakers behind your listening position?

Scott

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2010, 03:56:22 PM »
Scott:

I was testing biamping with the stereo speakers in front,  thought I have seven speakers arrayed around me in that room in alignment with Yamaha's DSP theory (two main front, two presence front speakers to the right and left of the mains, a center, and two rear - plus the sub).  I seat right in the middle of that.  Only biamping the front mains.

Pepe

bmwr75

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2010, 04:48:55 PM »
Thanks Pepe.  Just saw a lots of speakers behind your listening position.   ;D