Author Topic: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?  (Read 705181 times)

Offline geoffr

• Double Secret Probation!
Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?
« Reply #1500 on: January 22, 2014, 06:30:53 PM »
Ricky Nelson. "Ricky Nelson"
Living room: Fisher 400, Thorens TD124, Arcam CD, Klipsch Heresy
Home office: Scott 222c or Fisher KX-200, Thorens TD124, Marantz CD + Peachtree DAC, Omega 3T desktop speakers and Deep Hemp sub
Basement: Rogue Cronus, Meadowlark Kestrel, Rega P25, Marantz CD

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
  • Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #1501 on: January 22, 2014, 06:42:54 PM »
Tom Scott, Flashpoint

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
  • Receiving Aural Pleasure....
« Reply #1502 on: January 22, 2014, 07:17:49 PM »
Finally got all my Dad's vinyl... first up a little of Chuck Mangione's Feels so Good... fantastic contemporaty jazz-funk fun!
preamp: BAT VK-5
amp: Altec 944sa
DAC:  Bel Canto 2.5
CDP: Pioneer Elite DV-47a
Intel NUC server / iFi micro iUSB3.0 / Roon
Spendor FL9

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
  • Receiving Aural Pleasure....
« Reply #1503 on: January 22, 2014, 08:36:27 PM »
Then Sinatra's Strangers in the Night

now Beatles Let it Be, though I still prefer the 'naked' version, hard to beat the original!
preamp: BAT VK-5
amp: Altec 944sa
DAC:  Bel Canto 2.5
CDP: Pioneer Elite DV-47a
Intel NUC server / iFi micro iUSB3.0 / Roon
Spendor FL9

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #1504 on: January 22, 2014, 09:12:02 PM »
---------THE BLASTERS

Great 80s rock n' roll band -- 50s influenced with horns and a lotta 12 bar blues

Look these guys up -- Favorite tracks include "i'm Shakin'" "Border Radio" "American Music' -- DIG IN

I LOVE this album.

True story...

When I was in college in Boston I went to a Blasters show at The Paradise.   It was right after Dave and Gene left and Phil was trying to hold the band together.   You may recall they had a Budweiser commercial with Gallagher that ran on the Super Bowl that year.

I get there early, but at least one big fan got their earlier.   Early enough to already be drunk.   I bore more than a slight resemblance to the recently departed piano player, Gene Taylor.  We even both wore the same goatee then.    I went to take a leak and the drunk guy was in the rest room.   He shakes my hand and says "Gene, I thought you quit!"   I told him that I wasn't Gene and that I wished I could play like that.   He told me with a spray of expletives that he didn't believe I wasn't Gene Taylor and that I must be making a surprise guest appearance.  He finally left and I went about my business.   

I went back out to the bar and (in honor of the commercial mentioned above) ordered my first of far too many Budweisers.   The guy comes up behind me and starts yelling "They are about to start, get yer ass up there Gene".   Then he walked away.   After nearly every song he repeated "Get yer ass up there Gene".   I wondered if he would get hostile at some point, but he never did anything more than yell in my direction.

As the evening got later, I got drunker.   By the end I went up to the band and asked them for an autograph.   Phil didn't sign anything for me, but he did ask me if I was going to make it home okay.   Anyone who knows anything about that band understands that it is a MAJOR accomplishment to have Phil Alvin ask you if you are going to make it home okay.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #1505 on: January 22, 2014, 09:16:13 PM »
RockNRoll, are you going to Jim's next weekend?   If you are (and of course if I can make it), I'll bring my vinyl copy of that album.   Do you have it on vinyl or CD?

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #1506 on: January 22, 2014, 10:41:45 PM »
Avalon - Roxy Music

I never get tired of this album.  SACD is playing now, I have it on Japanese vinyl also
Carl

Offline Reverend

« Reply #1507 on: January 22, 2014, 10:51:03 PM »
"Wig Out at Jagbags" by Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks
2014 Indie Rock

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #1508 on: January 22, 2014, 10:53:25 PM »
Beatles Let it Be, though I still prefer the 'naked' version, hard to beat the original!

Do you know that "Naked" has lots and lots of Autotune to fix the original performances?   Especially all over Lennon's six string bass.   In fact, McCartney wanted to do that for years but couldn't until Antares came out with an auto tune system that could handle bass notes (the first systems were ineffective below 180 Hz or so).   It is an interesting listen, but no more authentic than Spector's version.   They each just used different techniques to plaster over the problems.   The only authentic version is the Glyn John's version (widely booted and not very good, but worth hearing once).   The complete rooftop session is also "out there".

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #1509 on: January 23, 2014, 08:45:21 AM »
was filing away a bunch of albums and stumbled across Joni Mitchell Court and Spark....  remarkable voice, but what a frigging depressing album lol! Will put that one away for another decade or so....  lol

Also found/ listened to CSN&Y Four Way Street.... what a great album! Won't let that one go years again without listening to it!
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #1510 on: January 23, 2014, 09:32:00 AM »
Sir thrift a lot -- Thats awesome -- and yes there is always THAT guy at the bars/shows,  once or twice i think I'v been THAT guy..  And about jims, where and when is it?  I have it on vinyl.  Found it for $5.00 at out of the ordinary music

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #1511 on: January 23, 2014, 05:45:55 PM »
Saturday night Feb 1st   anytime after 7:30        McMurray PA 15317    send me a message and I'll provide address.....
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline Reverend

« Reply #1512 on: January 26, 2014, 02:53:20 PM »
"Concreté Misery" by Sevendeaths
2014, Electronic

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #1513 on: January 26, 2014, 07:14:25 PM »
Some good mellow jazz on WESA FM HD-2

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #1514 on: January 26, 2014, 09:57:42 PM »
Watching the Grammys.