Author Topic: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?  (Read 697980 times)

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?
« Reply #2280 on: April 15, 2015, 07:30:16 AM »
  I almost feel like he's in my bedroom...what a disgusting thought (LOL)!

It's not giving me any warm fuzzies either (LOL)!

Offline Mongojustpawn

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Mongo Like Choo-Choo!
« Reply #2281 on: April 15, 2015, 09:40:59 PM »
Went into a little second hand store today, it's one of those places where you have to move something to look at anything ,but today just inside the front door is a stack of LPs. As I'm going through them the owner comes over, records are 3 for a buck, you should take them all. Lots of Mr. Welk, Christmas, etc., but I did find a nice condition Chuck Mangione, "Chase the Clouds Away" and a CD by The Rembrandts, "LP", it's marked on the liner For Promotional Use Only, does that mean something? By the way, just listened to Mangione.
Welcome Back My Friends, To The Show That Never Ends

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #2282 on: April 15, 2015, 09:48:28 PM »
a CD by The Rembrandts, "LP", it's marked on the liner For Promotional Use Only, does that mean something?

With a CD, very rarely, though if it was an early enough edition it could have alternate mixes, etc.   The easiest way to tell would be to throw it into Foobar or EAC and see if freedb data base identifies it as the album or gives it an "unknown".   Aside from that, it could have some interest to a collector.   eBay would be your best resource to check on that.

I was working for Camelot music when that one came out.   It was much anticipated as it had the "Friends" theme on it and the show blew up before the song was released.   They promoted the "LP" album by giving us our promo CDs in 12" LP sized jackets.   I think I still have it somewhere.

Offline Mongojustpawn

• Mongo Like Choo-Choo!
« Reply #2283 on: April 15, 2015, 11:22:43 PM »
I only bought the cd because I couldn't find 2 more lps to make it an even buck. I'm going to go back though and buy some more lps and see if I can wash the grunge off them, plus he said he might have some more someplace.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #2284 on: April 18, 2015, 07:33:11 PM »
1984 recording of Claude Bolling and his 18-piece orchestra at a concert in Paris.  Great pressing.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #2285 on: April 19, 2015, 07:43:07 PM »

RSD 2015 vinyl.

Offline Mongojustpawn

• Mongo Like Choo-Choo!
« Reply #2286 on: April 19, 2015, 08:13:06 PM »
Went to the flea market this morning, looked through several boxes of LPs, mostly not nice condition, but i did find 5 nice Frank Sinatra LPs,  and a Chicago Transit Authority 2 LP set, still has cellophane. Old Blue Eyes is playing right now.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #2287 on: April 19, 2015, 09:26:12 PM »
1984 recording of Claude Bolling and his 18-piece orchestra at a concert in Paris.  Great pressing.

Pepe-this looked familiar and sure enough, I have the original vinyl pressing from when I bought it new.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #2288 on: April 19, 2015, 10:06:04 PM »
Picked up another 20 albums from the guy in Lorain. All cleaned and just starting to listen to them... the first one is Eric Burdon Sun Secrets.

Amazingly good album, and very good recording ... if you listened before you looked, you'd think it was cut yesterday. This one will become part of my normal rotation....

a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #2289 on: April 19, 2015, 10:57:52 PM »
Mongo, CTA & Chicago II are a couple of my all time favorite albums!  I'm jealous.

Jim-Pgh. Haven't listened to Eric Burden in years. I'll have to see if it's on Tidal

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #2290 on: April 20, 2015, 07:57:13 AM »
album really surprised the heck out of me....  good recording and a real blues flavor to it... about as far from top 40 as it could be, not at all the AM radio mixes lol

You've got great taste ...

Listening right now to Janis Joplin  Kozmic Blues... finally got a good copy that's not overplayed and without a scratch... can actually hear the piano, cymbals and snare. No klink of bourbon bottles that I can hear lol  This is my third or fourth copy...  this one has some static, ticks and pops though... will clean it again....  bought the reissue of Pearl and Kozmic and both were terrible.. like they were re cuts from old dead records. no dynamic range at all... took them back.Son in Law was in Berlin last week and is suppose to have picked up a clean vintage Holland pressing of Pearl for me... along with a German Beggers Banquet and a Japanese It's only Rock and Roll
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #2291 on: April 20, 2015, 06:24:07 PM »
Does my wife's snoring count?  It does have rhythm & pitch. Time for headphones!

Offline Mongojustpawn

• Mongo Like Choo-Choo!
« Reply #2292 on: April 20, 2015, 11:33:13 PM »
I'm 3/4 of the way through CTA, was never a Chicago fan, only ever heard on the car stereo, I wanted to crank it a bit,  had to put on the headphones.
PBJ,  didn't know what I was missing

Offline Magnaryder

• Ray Campbell, Rush chairman, damn glad to meet you
« Reply #2293 on: April 21, 2015, 10:38:34 PM »
Grand Funk Railroad-Born to Die
                               We're an American Band
                               All the Girls in the World Beware
                               On Time
                               E Pluribus Funk
                               Phoenix
all on vinyl

Rocking an evening with the boys from Flint

ray

ripped some new 'Keb'Mo to the office rig and picked up 2 LPs by Robert Cray for $4 ea. Can't wait to hear them.     
Magnaryder-EAR Yoshino V20 Integrated amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Rega P3TT,SME 3009 arm, Grado Statement Master1 cart, 2018 CarverFest 275 Amplifiers, CarverFest 2011 EL84 amplifiers Nos 50/51 Stax Earspeakers, Spatial Audio M3 OB loudspeakers and the Carver Research DarkStar sub.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #2294 on: April 22, 2015, 08:32:34 AM »
I really like going through catalogues like that... all I have of one group, or even fun to pick up 3 or 4 albums of the same group.... dedicated evening, I like that lol

Did that recently with CSN&Y and with the Allman Bros....

Also like to play "live" albums for a night, instead of studio