Author Topic: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?  (Read 708780 times)

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?
« Reply #3060 on: May 26, 2017, 07:40:39 PM »
I've almost bought the reissue a number of times, but I finally stumbled into a first pressing that didn't require a second mortgage.   I'm listening now and it sounds great.   Overlooked brilliance!

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3061 on: May 26, 2017, 09:24:53 PM »
Spotify is doing a free stream of the 2017 Giles Martin remix of Sgt. Pepper. I have a couple nits to pick, but overall I think he did a brilliant job. Be prepared for the purists to tell you how bad it is. They hate change. Any change. This is finally a stereo version of the album that you can enjoy with headphones.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #3062 on: May 28, 2017, 06:52:02 PM »

Probably not considered their best, but to me it is. I grew up with his voice from a young age and they're at the top of my list of favorites. It hasn't really sunk in, I keep thinking of the time we had down in Macon two years ago and the countless shows over the years. After this one, I'll be digging into the peach box set.

Offline bwdst3

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #3063 on: May 29, 2017, 12:41:31 AM »
Love that Television record. Also in search of a reasonably priced OG but for now my reissue fills the void. Nice score!

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3064 on: May 29, 2017, 12:41:54 AM »
I got to listen to the new surround mix of The Beatles - Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band tonight.    I really see this mix as a missed opportunity, which is quite disappointing given the wonderful job I thought they did on the "Love" surround mix. In particular, LSD and Mr Kite were very underwhelming. Given the work that Giles had already done cutting apart the Lucy track for the new stereo mix (which I like very much), I totally expected a psychedelic treatment where the notes were floating around the room randomly like colored dots in front of your eyes when the Mescaline kicks in (or so I've heard). In the same way, when Henry the Horse starts dancing, I felt it would have been entirely appropriate to center the organ but have the effects spinning around you in a dizzying manner, the way the organ on a carousel would remain stationary as you ride, but all of the sounds from outside would be spinning as the ride twirls. "Day in the Life" was nice, but pedestrian. A treatment completely not befitting that song. Only two songs actually benefited from the surround mix in my estimation. The separation given the small ensemble in "When I'm Sixty-Four" gave an interesting freshness to that tune (not one of my favorites on the album) and "Penny Lane" was literally the only mix that had me hearing things I hadn't before. Again, the fact that the whole album didn't do this is a wasted opportunity.

The LFE channel is an awful mess. For starters, it is entirely too loud. I had to turn the sub down twice just to get it to "play nicely" with the other channels. Once that was accomplished, it was horribly "flubby" and indistinct. Plus, it seemed to only carry far too much of Paul's bass fundamental but I heard little to none of the kick drum fundamental. It's really all but inexcusable IMHO.

In a way, this is probably appropriate for a 50th Anniversary release. For fifty years I've heard about how the mono was the go to mix and the stereo was an afterthought. With this release it seems that the stereo is finally the go to mix and the surround was treated as an afterthought.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 12:48:20 AM by Sir Thrift-a-Lot »

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3065 on: May 29, 2017, 12:44:20 AM »
Love that Television record. Also in search of a reasonably priced OG but for now my reissue fills the void. Nice score!

I didn't know of this record until a few years ago.   I learned it from the Rhino CD.   So I am used to the unedited title track.   It's still a little jarring to me when if fades down during the last verse.   Though I'm thrilled to have an original (I'm admittedly a pressing snob), I may still get the reissue just to have that uncut version on vinyl.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 12:49:11 AM by Sir Thrift-a-Lot »

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #3066 on: May 29, 2017, 07:35:17 AM »
Just finished up Mingus Ah Hum, so pulled out what is, according to discogs, a first pressing of Marquee Moon.  The cover has a notch in it, so I reckon I bought it down at stedefords back in the mid 70s when I would stop to buy $3 promos before heading to three rivers stadium to work the Pirate games.  I must have sold my copy of "Adventure"....
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #3067 on: May 29, 2017, 09:15:36 AM »
Sitting here this morning  listening to "Jammin' in Hi Fi with Gene Ammons.  Great recording, great performance / artists. 

Was in Grand Rapids since Friday for a wedding :-) .. way tooooooo long of a drive .... and hit Vertigo Music, where I picked this up.  A really nice record store, with helpful friendly staff BTW. Hit "The Corner" record store when there for the wedding shower a month ago... also very nice.
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3068 on: June 02, 2017, 09:07:44 PM »

Yep, my Crate and Barrel order came today.   This record sounds great (I've heard complaints about the Capitol 75th vinyl).   Very quiet background and great mastering.   The bass is like a warm hug.   However, it is quite apparent why C&B didn't last long selling vinyl.   It was shipped in an oversize box, literally rattling around inside the box as I lifted it.   I opened it and there was a cursory piece of bubble wrap, just folded over the records.   Nothing securing them at all.   Worse yet, the album pictured above came from a case which some dope opened with a box cutter, slicing the spine in half.   If it weren't clearance it would be going back.   The other two records seemed to have fared much better, but if I open them and get any surprises I'll report back.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3069 on: June 03, 2017, 11:23:45 PM »

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3070 on: June 03, 2017, 11:42:14 PM »

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3071 on: June 04, 2017, 05:10:58 PM »
IMHO Todd's most "Philly" sounding album. It could practically be a Hall and Oates record.

Offline Mongojustpawn

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Mongo Like Choo-Choo!
« Reply #3072 on: June 07, 2017, 11:20:56 PM »
Picked this up in local thrift last week along with a few other jazz LPs.
Welcome Back My Friends, To The Show That Never Ends

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #3073 on: June 08, 2017, 10:17:52 PM »
Watching the Penguins eat some catfish!

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #3074 on: June 09, 2017, 05:43:26 PM »
"Stormy weather". Bob Dylan.   Triplicate
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers