Author Topic: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?  (Read 708771 times)

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?
« Reply #3135 on: July 31, 2017, 08:22:45 AM »
Was back in Lorain OH for a funeral and 45th class reunion and was able to find time to visit Hansen's Records in Oberlin Ohio. Very nice and unique shop, especially if you are into Techno/ Noise type music. But a decent collection of Jazz and Rock.  Picked up a few real gems there including a sealed copy of RYKO  Jimi Hendrix "Live at Winterland". Pretty cool opening it up. Sound is just excellent.  NM copy of Coltrane  "Alternative Takes"  which is one of the better reissues I've heard, and a VG copy of Miles "Get up with it"
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #3136 on: August 04, 2017, 11:37:51 PM »

The Beatles - Abbey Road - 5.1 mix from the Rockband multis.

So, there is this videogame called Rockband, and they did an Abbey Road game.   In order to make the game work, you have to be able to turn certain instruments on or off in the playback.   So, there are several channels of audio inside of the game.   I have no idea what bitdepth or resolution they are, but they don't sound bad.   

Somebody cracked the game, and there are multi track files for several of our favorite albums "out there" now (I have quite enjoyed playing with the isolated tracks in Queen - Night at the Opera).   Somebody took those multis and did a 5.1 mix of Abbey Road.   A couple of (unavoidable, I suspect) oddities aside, I like the mix this fan did much better than I like the official 5.1 of Pepper.   This was a really fun mix, revealing in a few spots, and I'm sure I'll return to it often.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 11:39:27 PM by Sir Thrift-a-Lot »

Offline bwdst3

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #3137 on: August 05, 2017, 10:55:11 AM »
Jeremy Steig - Legwork (SS 18068)

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #3138 on: August 05, 2017, 11:08:21 AM »
Bill Evans Trio - Sunday at the Village Vanguard

SACD rip to 192K 24 bit.  Great recording.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3139 on: August 05, 2017, 01:51:28 PM »

Did you ever grab my needledrop of Waltz for Debby?   Both albums are from the same gig and the same tape.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3140 on: August 05, 2017, 10:51:33 PM »

Too bad the songs are so boring, because the sound is spectacular.   Just like most of the albums that call themselves "Audiophile" or "Demo Disc".

I wish they would find the multis for "Aja".   That would be amazing in surround.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #3141 on: August 06, 2017, 09:35:16 AM »
Return to Forever  Musicmagic     Always hit or miss with RTF IMHO .... parts of this album are just great, others a little "trippy" for my tastes lol   But you just can't beat Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke and Joe Farrell....
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #3142 on: August 06, 2017, 10:01:43 AM »

Did you ever grab my needledrop of Waltz for Debby?   Both albums are from the same gig and the same tape.

Will check it out and compare to a SACD rip of WFD.  PM me the link please. 

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #3143 on: August 06, 2017, 10:05:38 AM »

The Beatles - Abbey Road - 5.1 mix from the Rockband multis.

So, there is this videogame called Rockband, and they did an Abbey Road game.   In order to make the game work, you have to be able to turn certain instruments on or off in the playback.   So, there are several channels of audio inside of the game.   I have no idea what bitdepth or resolution they are, but they don't sound bad.   

Somebody cracked the game, and there are multi track files for several of our favorite albums "out there" now (I have quite enjoyed playing with the isolated tracks in Queen - Night at the Opera).   Somebody took those multis and did a 5.1 mix of Abbey Road.   A couple of (unavoidable, I suspect) oddities aside, I like the mix this fan did much better than I like the official 5.1 of Pepper.   This was a really fun mix, revealing in a few spots, and I'm sure I'll return to it often.

Interested in listening to one track from that - can you shot me a link?  Is it DTS or DD?  Please chose whichever track you think most benefits from the remix.  Thanks!

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3144 on: August 06, 2017, 02:41:50 PM »
It's DVD-A.   I'll give you that and the needledrop on discs next time I see you.

If I knew how to send you one track it would likely be "Here Comes the Sun".   The separation of the strings and synth really redefine what a great arrangement it is.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 02:43:27 PM by Sir Thrift-a-Lot »

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #3145 on: August 06, 2017, 04:25:39 PM »
oh I get it - they distribute the music as dvd-a ISOs? 

thanks

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3146 on: August 06, 2017, 05:29:20 PM »
oh I get it - they distribute the music as dvd-a ISOs? 

thanks

Yes.   Some people do 5.1 FLACs, but I don't actually have a way to play those.   I do ISOs.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #3147 on: August 06, 2017, 08:28:24 PM »
I understand that Bill Evans Trio album was just released as a MoFi 45 RPM two disc record.  Per the Absolute sound, it sounds superb.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #3148 on: August 06, 2017, 08:40:04 PM »
I understand that Bill Evans Trio album was just released as a MoFi 45 RPM two disc record.  Per the Absolute sound, it sounds superb.

K:

Saw that, $28 bucks at Elusivedisc - not crazy money.  I can feel the temptation course through my veins...

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3149 on: August 07, 2017, 12:16:39 AM »

Twenty something years ago when Home Theater was the hot new thing, there was one DVD that was the go to music demo.   I remembered it sounding really great and wondered how it's held up.   It still sounds really great.   How does DTS pack six channels of such good sound into the same space as two channels of Redbook CD?