Author Topic: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?  (Read 697856 times)

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?
« Reply #3540 on: June 23, 2019, 09:19:23 PM »

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3541 on: July 03, 2019, 12:20:47 AM »

I just found out that the 1984 John Matousek remastering of What's Going On (considered by many to be the best sounding version) had a very limited promo run on Quiex vinyl.   I was lucky enough to track down a very affordable copy.   It smokes my first pressing in every way.   Perhaps at some point Carl and I can A/B it to his One Step.   What a great listen.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #3542 on: July 03, 2019, 06:41:48 AM »
IF you ever find another copy at a semi reasonable cost, please pick it up for me! One of my very favorite albums....
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3543 on: July 03, 2019, 08:12:06 AM »
IF you ever find another copy at a semi reasonable cost, please pick it up for me! One of my very favorite albums....

I will keep my eyes open.   I'll also bring it to the next get together you host.

BTW, my reasonable price was $25.   I don't know what may be reasonable to you, but it was far less than the One Step.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3544 on: July 03, 2019, 10:27:34 AM »

I do find some cool records.   All of you guys' systems smoke mine, but I'm pretty proud of my record collection.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #3545 on: July 03, 2019, 09:05:12 PM »
Climax Blues Band FM Live album... One of the better recorded live albums and the music is great! One of those albums I don't play often enough.
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #3546 on: July 03, 2019, 10:30:48 PM »
Three new records today. Delvon LaMarr Organ Trio Live at KEXP, Best of REM, and Gary Clark Jr.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3547 on: July 03, 2019, 10:37:07 PM »
Let me know how that GCJr is.   I loved his debut but was disappointed in the sound quality of his live album.   Too many other things to buy right now to spring for it yet.   Maybe I'll find someone's hand me down on SHTV or something.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3548 on: July 03, 2019, 10:42:03 PM »

A recent release that sounds like one of the great 70s soul albums.   They are a husband and wife.   She had been a professional singer of some sort already (back up singer IIRC) and he started writing music as a way of coping with his PTSD after Iraq.   She saw him performing and they became a couple.   Very positive music with smokin grooves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NewN2Mw2b78

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc0ADXvbeAY

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #3549 on: July 04, 2019, 06:25:25 AM »
"Thou carest, Lord" by the Holy Ghost Sanctifiers

From disc one of the Dust to Digital six disc box set 'Goodbye Babylon".   It's all early gospel music, packaged in a gorgeous cedar box.  Includes a 200 page booklet. 

Perfect listening on a 4th of July morning, sipping some chai out on the back deck, watching the sun come up over a very quiet neighborhood. 

Hope everyone has a safe and relaxing holiday.
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #3550 on: July 05, 2019, 10:12:05 AM »
Let me know how that GCJr is.   I loved his debut but was disappointed in the sound quality of his live album.   Too many other things to buy right now to spring for it yet.   Maybe I'll find someone's hand me down on SHTV or something.

Didn't get to it yet, passed out somewhere during REM. Been digging out our storm drain and my arms want to fall off, by the time I sit down at night...POOF...dreamtime. Hopefully tonight.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #3551 on: July 06, 2019, 09:17:31 AM »

Didn't get to it yet, passed out somewhere during REM. Been digging out our storm drain and my arms want to fall off, by the time I sit down at night...POOF...dreamtime. Hopefully tonight.

It's a well done album from sound to packaging, I'm not disappointed. Musically, the album goes all over the place - hip hop, soul, blues, r&b, etc. My guess is this release will show up used, it's not just some SRV-style record and those buyers will be disappointed.

A note on the Delvon Lammar Organ Trio records - they're oddball jacket sized, taller and narrower by at least 1/4". The content however is blistering awesome.

Hopefully tonight is Gov't Mule - Bring on the Music vol 1 and 2.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3552 on: July 06, 2019, 09:27:04 AM »

It's a well done album from sound to packaging, I'm not disappointed. Musically, the album goes all over the place - hip hop, soul, blues, r&b, etc. My guess is this release will show up used, it's not just some SRV-style record and those buyers will be disappointed.

A note on the Delvon Lammar Organ Trio records - they're oddball jacket sized, taller and narrower by at least 1/4". The content however is blistering awesome.

Hopefully tonight is Gov't Mule - Bring on the Music vol 1 and 2.

Sounds good.   Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #3553 on: July 07, 2019, 06:52:04 AM »
"Deep Tango" from Motility by Steve Kuhn & Ecstasy
ECM 3 CD box "Life's Backwards Glances"

Perfect for a quiet, hazy & humid Sunday morning on the back deck, with the customary hot chai in hand and dog at my feet.

Have a great day, folks.

The Emporer
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #3554 on: July 09, 2019, 05:39:11 PM »
Robert Randolph and the Family Band - Got Soul. A cool find on MOV from 1/3 Price Crooks.

Raconteurs - Help Us Stranger. Perhaps their best effort so far.