Author Topic: new toys for me to play with....  (Read 5440 times)

Offline typethisin

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Rock n' Roll ....and Bacon forever!!!!
new toys for me to play with....
« on: November 05, 2010, 05:29:43 PM »
I just got my hands on an Onkyo 5160 stereo power amp (150x2)and a carver C-2 preamp. I am using them with the HK cd player to fuel my jbl sw2 active sub with a pair of sony 6.5 bookshelf speakers to round out the sound. The power amp is so sweet. It has black facing with the rack handles, a red thin led strip in the middle like Kit from knight rider, and best of all it is beefy. The carver c-2 is sweet, bushed stainless face, plenty of knobs instead of buttons, and defeat options for tone control which is a plus. Over all i have so much headroom now that i barely have to turn up the volume to get powerfull sound. I think the preamp combined with this beast of a solid state power amp makes a great combination for me. After all i am just starting out. I am looking forward to possibly getting a better pair of bookshelf speakers to better fill the sound out. Suggestions are welcome since i am a young paduan in training.
-john- "I'm gonna rock out with my Bacon out!"

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
Re: new toys for me to play with....
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 05:47:21 PM »
Sounds like you are well on your way...good luck in your journey!!!  8)
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

SunnyDaze

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 05:49:55 PM »
Did you pick up the 5160 from the guy in Mt. Pleasant? I wonder how that puppy sounds!

You should consider picking up the Paradigm Atoms that are on here for sale.

PS - Get some pictures of your system up!  :P

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 05:54:53 PM »
These Regas are great sounding bookshelves http://www.needledoctor.com/Rega-RS1-Speakers
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 05:58:12 PM »
Jerry Raskin's is an awesome side, Ed!

Offline typethisin

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Rock n' Roll ....and Bacon forever!!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 07:06:36 PM »
Working on the pics. Will have some up tonight. The 5160 sounds awesome and powerfull. Power for days. I will definately look into the suggested bookshelf speakers. The sonys are ok but the crossovers and non-titanium tweeter leave something to be desired. I need to make sure the bookshelfs I get can handle the power and I may go with 8" woofers in a three-way or 6.5" in a two-way but it needs a serious tweeter. Also a rich woofer for full vocals and fill. Probably looking for one that handles 200watts plus just for security reasons. Listened to the lost highway soundtrack, led zep, santana, and eric clapton. All were great on this set up. I am tweeked about it. Everytime I come home and turn it on I am almost waiting for the power amp to say, "hello michael..." ;)
-john- "I'm gonna rock out with my Bacon out!"

SunnyDaze

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 07:24:03 PM »
Actually, go for sound quality over power handling. The nature of the relationship between sound pressure level and power is such that you're better off having an amp that's entirely too powerful for a given set of speakers as opposed to an amplifier that is barely able to drive that same set of speakers.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 07:45:49 PM »
Tommy has several nice pairs of bookshelves lying around the shop including the aforementioned Regas. I would say take your amp down and use one of his c-2s and try out what he has. Whatever sounds best to you is what to get. Like SunnyD said, don't get caught up in numbers.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 07:52:29 PM »
And... if you take my advice, make sure Tommy shows you my Blueroom Minipods  ;D
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec01/articles/minipods.asp