Audio Discussion > DIY

Phase Linear 400 Refurbishing Project

(1/5) > >>

OldiesButGoodies:
Creating a thread to store pictures from my slowly unfolding Phase Linear 400 refurb. 

As purchased:

Untitled by Jose Sifontes, on Flickr

One of the power supply can caps was shorted so I replaced them with a slightly higher value and voltage set of caps (from 5900 uf to 6800 uf):

The new cans are smaller and do not use screw terminals,  so had to use a rubber spacer to retain the original mount and adapt O terminals so the original Phase Linear wiring was not affected:

Also added bypass caps per OCCD's suggestion:

I bought all the caps to redo the driver board:

But it sounds so good as-is that I am thinking of not doing anything to that board for now (if not broken,  don't fix it..)

Next is the install of the blue-LED mod  and the speaker protection relays (neither has arrived).   And finding a Phase Linear 2000 to pair it up with. 

Will post pics after that as well. 

:)

OBG

F1nut:
Looks fine so far. I like the wood cabinet.

I'm sure you meant 5900uF, right?

OldiesButGoodies:

--- Quote from: F1nut on June 04, 2016, 09:09:57 PM ---Looks fine so far. I like the wood cabinet.

I'm sure you meant 5900uF, right?

--- End quote ---

Yes! corrected that typo...  Thanks for the + feedback Jesse.

Reg,

OBG

Kingman:
What led you to try a Phase Linear Pepe?

OldiesButGoodies:
This Phase Linear 400 showed up on Clist locally at a good price,  so I snatched it.  I want to have a second system so I thought I could use this as the starting point. Never owned a pre-Carver Carver product and I liked the fact that it came with a wood case in good shape.  Happy so far - just afraid to use it with the big speakers until the relay is installed!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version