Author Topic: Recapping Mcintosh XR-16s  (Read 1910 times)

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
Recapping Mcintosh XR-16s
« on: January 17, 2011, 10:39:33 AM »
I finally found a schematic for the crossovers on my Mac speakers and I am toying with the idea of recapping them. I have a few questions. First, is there a point to changing out the resistors as well? What kind of difference is there in cap brands? I'm looking at Solen vs. Dayton price wise and I would be looking at a $45 dollar difference in them. Also, when it comes to values, how close do I need to be? For instance the cap for the woofer is supposed to be 75uF 100v and the closest Solen is 68uF 400v. As a matter of fact all of the Solen caps are 400vdc and all of the dayton caps are 250vdc, and the caps needed are (3) 100v and (2) 250v. I'm pretty clueless, so any help is appreciated. Not sure when I'm actually tackle this project, but I figured I would ask while it's on my mind.
Ed
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

bmwr75

Re: Recapping Mcintosh XR-16s
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 11:57:08 AM »
Ed,

I've recapped a bunch of crossovers.  Never used anything but Dayton Metallized Polypropylene Capacitors from P-E.  All have sounded good to me when I finished.....but some didn't sound any different, which means the caps I replaced were still good enough.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-metallized-capacitors.cfm

Have never changed a resistor.  Wouldn't change one unless it is visibly burned.

Regards,
Scott