Author Topic: WTB phono pre  (Read 1871 times)

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
WTB phono pre
« on: January 25, 2011, 10:00:20 PM »
I'm going to be looking to pick up a decent phono pre here pretty soon. The one I have is starting to malfunction and it's not worthy of repair. Does anyone have one to sell? Any recommendations? Looking in the $200 range. May go higher, but less is best.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline swestenzweig

• FNG !!!
Re: WTB phono pre
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 09:16:50 AM »
I have a Cambridge Audio 640p (black) that I may be looking to sell here soon. I've been using it for about a year and it's served me quite well hooked up to a Rega P1. I've been looking for a vintage Marantz receiver to hook up the turntable to directly. When I find one (hopefully in the next week or so), I don't anticipate a need for the pre amp.

Let me know if you have any interest.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 09:29:52 AM »
I might be interested. I don't have the money right now and I want to see what other options I have once I get the dough. Can you tell me a bit about the sound? Have you compared it to other phono preamps?
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

bmwr75

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 10:45:15 AM »
I use Parasound Zphono.  It got some good review a few years back.  Can be had from Amazon for $199.

Offline swestenzweig

• FNG !!!
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 08:43:27 AM »
I might be interested. I don't have the money right now and I want to see what other options I have once I get the dough. Can you tell me a bit about the sound? Have you compared it to other phono preamps?

Honestly, it's the only phono pre-amp I've tried so I can't offer a good comparison. When I purchased it, I did a fair bit of research and found it to be one of the best amps around for the price ($179 new). I haven't had any complaints with it.

I purchased a Marantz 2225 last night and hooked it up to the turntable (with the pre-amp). Absolutely amazing. The combination of turntable-pre-amp-receiver puts out incredible clarity. Running through my surround sound receiver (HK AVR 235) sounded good, but the textures, the depth, and the warmth took on an entirely new level with the new receiver. I will try the phono inputs on the receiver without the amp for comparison, but I think I may end up keeping the 640p around yet...

Some interesting reading...
http://www.audioasylum.com/reviews/Phono-Preamp/Cambridge-Audio/640p/vinyl/516063.html