Author Topic: Carver CT-27v  (Read 6226 times)

OldiesButGoodies

Carver CT-27v
« on: April 22, 2011, 10:56:12 PM »
Tested it as a stereo preamp,  so the comments here apply to two-channel listening.  

This preamp sound is solid, fairly open, and the mid bass is tight - almost as if it had been EQ by the designer to be that way.   The tuner is ok, the phono section feels average,  and there are no digital inputs.  But the sound is good, really easy to listen for hours on end.  The bass management for the sub is minimal but typical for this vintage.  There is a small potentiometer in the back to control sub level. If you get one note that there an EQ loop in the back that should be normally bridged with U jumpers. If those are not present you will get no sound.  

Regards,

OBG
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 01:58:17 AM by OCCD »

Offline Rainman

• FNG !!!
Re: Carver CT-27v
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 11:51:16 PM »
  Per Mr. Carver himself the CT27, CT28, and CT29 are all identical as far as the pre amp section is concerned. My wife and I have one of each and I can say all three are excellent pre amps, at least in our environment with our gear. Some people will find this hard to believe but I have tried several different pre's and at least in our situation none of the others we tried could match the sound stage and imaging that any of the 27, 28, and 29 deliver.
                                        Rainman
"If you can't out race 'em... out think 'em"
                Warren Johnson

OldiesButGoodies

Re: Carver CT-27v
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 08:46:16 AM »
I agree - it is very nice overall.  Are you using the phono section?  That left me wanting a bit.  Low output and a bit noisy. 

OBG