Author Topic: WTB: Radio Shack (Realistic) Pair Minimus Model 7  (Read 3895 times)

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
WTB: Radio Shack (Realistic) Pair Minimus Model 7
« on: May 16, 2011, 11:31:40 PM »
Wanted,  a pair of Radio Shack (Realistic) Minimus Model 7.  Oak is preferable, butyl surround and made in Japan is a must.
There are plenty of these on eBay, I want to avoid the shipping risk.  Plus examine the condition.  Please PM me!

Regards,

Ccarl
Carl

Offline TNRabbit

• Audio Geek!
  • WTF are you looking at?
Re: WTB: Radio Shack (Realistic) Pair Minimus Model 7
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 11:32:55 AM »
What are you using them for? I suggest the Minimus 77 (larger brother) made in Japan model--takes more power & I think sounds better. You can buy upgraded woofers & crossovers on ebay for them that makes them a kickass little speaker.

i have 3 pair of Minimus 77s and 6 pair of Minimus 7s~
TNRabbit

Carver SD/A-360 CDP feeding  Benchmark DAC-1
Sunfire Theater Grand-IV Processor/Sunfire Cinema Seven Signature Amp
Ashly XR-1001 & Rane PEQ-15s biamping AL-IIIs

bmwr75

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 05:35:02 PM »
Carl,

Have you checked with Steve in Edgewood?  He advertises on CL all the time.

Scott

Offline schwarcw

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 09:18:48 PM »
Greetings!

Gary, I am looking for a pair of very small speaker to fit into my corner TV cabinet.  The Minimus 7's are the perfect size.  Plus there is a large thread over on AK on a crossover mod for these.  I thought I saw mentioned in the thread on the Northern invasion by the Tom's and Jesse to your house that you were using the Minimus 7's for surrounds somewhere?

Hey Scott!, yes I did contact Steve.  For all the dozens of speaker he has, no Minimus 7s  :'(

Thanks for the suggestions.
Carl

Offline TNRabbit

• Audio Geek!
  • WTF are you looking at?
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 05:15:35 AM »
Greetings!

Gary, I am looking for a pair of very small speaker to fit into my corner TV cabinet.  The Minimus 7's are the perfect size.  Plus there is a large thread over on AK on a crossover mod for these.  I thought I saw mentioned in the thread on the Northern invasion by the Tom's and Jesse to your house that you were using the Minimus 7's for surrounds somewhere?

Hey Scott!, yes I did contact Steve.  For all the dozens of speaker he has, no Minimus 7s  :'(

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yes, I use them all over the house.  I have 2 pair for surrounds, & another entire 5.1 system in the living room (cheap Yamaha receiver) that uses 5 M-7s.
TNRabbit

Carver SD/A-360 CDP feeding  Benchmark DAC-1
Sunfire Theater Grand-IV Processor/Sunfire Cinema Seven Signature Amp
Ashly XR-1001 & Rane PEQ-15s biamping AL-IIIs

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 08:06:35 AM »
another entire 5.1 system in the living room (cheap Yamaha receiver) that uses 5 M-7s.
...give us a visual on that herr Rabbit!!!  :D
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Anders

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 10:03:58 AM »
I believe there's a pair in the shop that look like Minimus 7's but the labels are missing.

Anders

Offline schwarcw

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 10:37:11 AM »
I asked Tom several weeks ago, but he said NO.  However, if you would double check for me Anders that would be great!
Carl

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 11:35:03 AM »
I gave Tom some Optimus (rat shack) speakers a number of months ago, I believe one had a label and the other did not.  These were powered speakers, but if you bypass the electronics they may work for you...

From what I remember they look/sound very similar to the minimus model 7...

HTH,
George
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

Offline e_just

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 08:38:02 PM »
Nice speakers indeed. I scored a pair of 7W's at a local thrift for $6 and I can't be happier with them. Good luck with your hunt.
On a side note, has anybody done the upgrade that is commonly sold on that auction site?
Pioneer SA-9100 TX-9100 SA 5200 CT F7272 HPM-100, KLH 5, 6, 17,  Marantz 1060, Technics 1100A, 1200m3d, Thorens TD111, Goldring GR1

Offline schwarcw

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 11:55:53 PM »
Nice speakers indeed. I scored a pair of 7W's at a local thrift for $6 and I can't be happier with them. Good luck with your hunt.
On a side note, has anybody done the upgrade that is commonly sold on that auction site?

I would suggest you read the very long thread on AudioKarma for the Minimus crossover mods before you go the eBay mod kit.  Look Here  The AK mod seems much more comprehensive and a lot of DIY tweakers performed some trail and error mods to "optimize" the best.

Page 14 of the thread, post # 208 identifies the recommended mod schematic and parts list.  Let's see if I can post it:

From the audiokarma thread:

"The easiest solution is replace the input terminal plastic plate with a single board having all of the components on it and quality input binding posts, which some may want to do anyway. We have two secure mounting points for the board, but I'd still be looking for additional support for the 1 mH coil.

You'll likely lose the stock 0.4 mH air-core coil in doing that, so it moves the cost of the mod and upgrade into the $50 region. I may do that on the second pair here, but for now, I'm trying to work with what's there.
"
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 11:59:14 PM by schwarcw »
Carl

Offline confused

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 08:45:36 PM »
Carl,

Found a pair of minimus 7 in our collection in excellent shape. They are over at hals, $40 or offer?  Call to discuss.

THX,

Dale
Dale

-Still Smoking!-