Author Topic: Spica TC50s and matching sub  (Read 5579 times)

OldiesButGoodies

Spica TC50s and matching sub
« on: July 23, 2011, 08:24:53 PM »
Initial testing looks good - bad ass imaging.  Funky stands,  but I see the logic.  Have not hooked up the matching sub.  Cosmetics very good, one dimple in dust cone of one woof.  Will report more later.

Anders

Re: Spica TC50s and matching sub
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 08:34:11 PM »
I remember the TC50's quite well.
I've never seen them on such short stands.
Don't expect much from them that low to the floor.

These speakers have a big wide and deep sound stage with good electronics but very little in image height.
Also there is a peak around 14K.

Very musical sounding speaker otherwise.

Ohhh and they can't take too much power.

Anders

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 09:00:35 PM »
I agree on the stands, though it is curious thatnthey seem kind of made for them in a way. No harm testing them a bit like that.  I will search for decent stands afterwards. The power comment is good to know. I had the tc60s and they seemed ok with high power, but these may be different.

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 11:21:51 AM »
Funny enough these stands were sold at IKEA about 10 years ago for $30,  I still have a pair.  I had a pair of Spica 50's a few years ago.  You want to get higher stand so that they are at your sitting level.  Great speakers, really good imagining/projection.  Let us know what they sound like with the subwoofer.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 11:26:58 AM by Reverend »

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 11:58:33 AM »
And I thought Bose 901's looked funky....
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline Zoot Horn

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 12:06:03 PM »
Those Spica's image like a mofo.  8)

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 03:39:36 PM »
Well,  the Spicas have been set up.  Rev, Anders - the Ikea stands were tested for about 30 seconds then discarded (for this app, will store them away as they may come in handy for future speaker scenarios).  The Spica servo sub sub came to life - all 70 watts and 8 inches of it - after replacing a fuse.  Used a pair of 30 inch Sanus stands (what a monumental piece of crap those stands are, I am going to write a review on them on Amazon),  but they proved too tall,  so I quickly introduced them to my radial saw and lopped off 4 inches to get them to 26",  which works.  Imaging is good and gets great and better as you tweak position and toe-in.  The sub is very musical (definitely not meant for home theater applications) and supplements the  TC-50s very well.  I am tempted to get the Sunfire Truesub in the mix as a sub-subwoofer - maybe I will try that later tonight.  My room is a small spare bedroom,  so I do not need a whole lot of power to get reasonable volumes.  They sound great.  After Ander's warning and a general lack of desire to search for or buy replacement woofers,  I will refrain from flooring them (unless forced by some liquid courage). So the verdict is - they are worthy replacements for the Mirage 890is (I may change my mind in six months and bring the Mirages back in though - as Tom knows i have component attention deficit disorder - also: a pair of low-priced Martin Logans may put the Spicas in peril vey quickly).

Cheers,

OBG

PS: Tom - sorry I did not make it to the shop - got busy here!

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 05:30:11 PM »
Congratulations!!! I always say the liquid energy results in superior audio performance in any case!!!!  O0
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 07:46:26 PM »
Great looking set up OBG!!!  Bet it sounds great. 

_______
Mike

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 12:01:08 AM »
Very nice looking!  Get a vacuum cleaner hose and suck out that dome indentation in the woofer.  Be careful!  But is should lift right out.  Enjoy your get new speakers. ;)
Carl

Anders

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 12:24:15 AM »
When these where pretty new I used to have to replace many woofers and quite a few tweeters that had blown voice coils.
But a great speaker otherwise.
Your ears should be just below the tweeter for best imaging and I like to listen to these near field.

I have the SC-50's which have a flat front and a round back.
Drivers look the same but they aren't.

Anders