Author Topic: Thorens TD 160 Turntable project for Sale  (Read 4266 times)

Offline tinpan

• Audio Geek!
    • VA Gold
Thorens TD 160 Turntable project for Sale
« on: December 07, 2011, 03:28:53 PM »
Yep, now you can have the chance to have your very own  turntable project. I bought this Thorens TD 160 about a year ago. I believe the rear of the tone arm is bent down a little. The counter weight was wobbly, but I took it off and looked at it and tightened the little screw and it doesn't wobble now.

Supposedly this unit was rebuilt and added to this nice plinth. Everything does seem to work, except for the bent tone arm. You may get it and decide it's not bent and the table works fine. Anyway, I paid $495 for it without a cartridge. I'm selling it for $300, without a cartridge. I also have a brand new dustcover for it I'll include if I can find the shipping box for it.

As is, it would make a nice table project if someone wants to upgrade the tone arm. I do accept Paypal. Plus shipping

Tinpan

If you can read this message, thank a teacher.
If you are reading it in english, thank a veteran

Offline Steve_Rynn

• FNG !!!
Re: Thorens TD 160 Turntable project for Sale
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 04:38:14 PM »
I have been thinking about upgrading my mmf 2.2 - message sent

Offline tinpan

• Audio Geek!
    • VA Gold
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 07:35:47 PM »
Hi Steve,

I got your PM with the following question:

Also, I am pretty new to all of this and am looking into cartridge / tonearm recommendations now, but if you could give me an idea of what a few good options are I would really appreciate it. I guess I just need to figure out how much more I will need to put into it

To be honest with you, I am not sure how much of an upgrade this would be over what you currently have. If someone were knowledgeable  about tonearm upgrades, and it sounds like that isn't you or me, this would be a good project for them. If I had someone local to me that could upgrade the tonearm or make it work correctly, I would keep it. I had a friend look at it and he suggested the tone arm may be bent. I think you would be better looking for something ready to go.

If you still want shipping info let me know, but I don't think this is a project you want to take on.

Thanks

Tinpan
Tinpan

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 10:11:21 PM »
Beautiful table Tinpan.  I'm not a turntable expert by any means but looking at the pictures, if the arm is bent you probably just want to replace it.  You might luck out and find parts, thorens arms show up all the time but it's a crap shoot.  If you're looking to upgrade to a fancier arm like a SME, etc, you will have to modify the metal cover.  The current one looks specific to the arm.  So, it might be as simple as either: 1) being able to modify the hole cut out of the metal cover but it wouldn't look as nice or custom.  2) You'd have to place a new plate cover that has specific holes drilled for your new tonearm.

Again, i'm going by the picture.  If this is a suspension table which i'm guessing it is, that's why there is a square hole cut out, you'd have to look to see how it was mounted to the suspension.  It is a good project, beautiful table, but it would take some know how.  But, if you can find a thorens tonearm replacement, it wouldn't be that bad.

Offline tinpan

• Audio Geek!
    • VA Gold
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 03:46:08 PM »
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

lol...yes I want to repy to this and bump it. I need to move this on to a new home. Price reduced to $200, I spent $500 when I bought iras a refurbished turntable, another $100 for the dust cover. I waited a year before I used it and discovered the tone arm was bent.

This would be a great base for someone to add a nice arm to.

Price reduced to $200
Tinpan

Offline tinpan

• Audio Geek!
    • VA Gold
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 12:15:05 PM »
Hee hee sold locally for $300
Tinpan