Author Topic: WTB: Tube Preamp  (Read 3248 times)

Offline Jeff M

• Double Secret Probation!
WTB: Tube Preamp
« on: December 21, 2011, 07:32:15 AM »
Looking for a tube preamp, linestage or phono. Must have remote. Not looking for diy units. Any around?

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: WTB: Tube Preamp
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 09:07:13 AM »
There are several tube preamps at the shop, I doubt any that have a remote.

bmwr75

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 10:47:33 AM »
Rogue Audio's Metis preamp comes with a remote (I think).  Hard to find used though.

http://www.rogueaudio.com/Products_Titan.htm

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 02:40:29 AM »
It would help if you stated a budget, if you need XLR's or are RCA's ok, what your other gear might be and what speakers you'll be running.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 02:42:21 AM by F1nut »
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline Jeff M

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 06:21:45 AM »
Using 2.3tl Polks and an Acoustat TNT200 amp. All rca jacks. A lower gain pre would be good. My current ss pre has a gain of 18db, which is a little high. Budget is around $1K or so.

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 05:14:09 PM »
Greetings!

There are a lot of good, used preamps in your price range.  The problem is the remote.  I would try calling Rogue Audio.  They may have a "B" stock of the Metis preamp.  Or, they may sell you that amp for around $1K.  I own a Rogue 99 that has the same tubes as the Metis.  I'd like to point out that preamp uses the 6SN7 tubes.  This tube is very musical and a large variety of different tubes in this family are cheap and available.  This makes for a great  opportunity for tube rolling and experiencing an audible change with the tube.  I have noticed some of the premier botique preamps like Modwright have switched to the 6SN7 tubes for their preamp and Oppo player mods.  Some very nice Cary audio preamps also use the 6SN7 tube.

Many of the high end tube preamplifiers have been using the 6H30 tube.  This Military tube is quite nice, but they all sound the same and cost a ton of cash.  Not much opportunity for tube rolling.  Enjoy!
Carl

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 10:41:04 PM »
Take a look at a used VTL 2.5.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 01:10:06 AM »
I've not heard one of these, but people are raving about the Dared SL-2000a.  Price is around $520, and it comes with a remote.  A lot of mods and tube rolling are supposed to allow this low priced unit to really sing.  Check out the Amazon sellers:

http://www.amazon.com/Dared-SL-2000A/dp/B001T8H40G

Carl

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 03:17:32 AM »
Between Carl and I, you're getting some good suggestions.

Another suggestion, a Joule LA-100MkIII. It has a low gain @ 8dB I believe and came with a remote option. Not easy to find and might be a bit above your stated budget, but it's one of the best all tube pre amps around.

Offline Zoot Horn

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 06:55:15 AM »
The Dared is a nice entry level pre--I have one that I upgraded(caps) which is certainly not mandatory.It responds very well to tube rolling,has a remote voulme control and will surprise you,especially at the price point.Good luck,let us know what you end up with.

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2011, 11:05:14 AM »
  I think Tom has a V.T.L. at the shop.

Bunni

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2011, 02:01:53 PM »
Check with Tom at the shop!