Author Topic: Need Verizon cell phone suggestions...  (Read 1363 times)

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
Need Verizon cell phone suggestions...
« on: February 13, 2012, 02:56:04 PM »
I have Verizon cell service...  I want to KEEP Verizon cell service...   ;)

I do NOT want to get a brand new phone with data package...  I am looking to pickup a gently used somewhat current model (I have the LG vx-8350 right now) for basic/emergency use.  I do NOT want to get locked into a 2 year contract...

Comments regarding getting a phone that does NOT have issues...

1. How can you tell if you get a "clean" phone, no issues?
2. Actual model(s) to consider?  Probably not a flip phone, A slider with keypad would be nice...

TIA,
George
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

Offline thuffman03

• Zen Master
  • CarverFest Evictee
Re: Need Verizon cell phone suggestions...
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 04:59:43 PM »
You have a few choices.

1st would be to buy a phone from Verizon Wireless.  You can buy phones without locking yourself into a contract.  It would be month to month.  The phone will be "clean" and have a warranty.  Doing a bit of searching on Verizon's web site the Samsung Haven is the least expensive phone at $169.99.  IMO this is the best option as you will be getting a new phone with a warranty and will know that it is not stolen or been dropped into a toilette.

2nd you can do a search like I did on Amazon.com.  Found this phone:  http://www.amazon.com/Silver-LG-VX9900-Verizon-Wireless/dp/B005J5ZISU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1329169372&sr=8-2  I do not know who is selling this and they do not say if there is any warranty but it is most likely the type of phone you are looking for.  You will need to do research on this phone as it might require a data plan.  I do not recommend this as there are still too many possible unknown issues that could happen.

3rd you can search Craig's list or eBay.  Good luck with that as who knows what you might get.  I would not do that.  This option is really a crap shoot IMO.

I hope this helps you in your new phone quest!
Got Carver?

Offline StephenWVU

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 05:19:39 PM »
I have a phone that I am almost certain requires a data plan, the Motorola Droid 3.  It is fantastic but as I said, I am almost certain it requires a data plan.  If you are looking for a keyboard one of my friends has an LG but it does random restarts and has its share of bugs.  Personally if I were you and your current phone works fine I wouldn't bother upgrading unless you were going for a smart phone with a data plan.  Do you really need a full keyboard to send text messages?  If someone is selling their used phone it is probably because they do not want that phone.  If they don't want it, you probably don't either.  If you do get a phone, get a new one so you can get a warranty, otherwise you are taking on high risk. 
Speakers: Nearfield Acoustics Pipedreams Reference 18
Amplifier:
Mark Levinson ML3 (subs)
Phison A2.120SE (towers)
Preamplifier/DAC/Phono: Phison PD2SE
Server: Pi & NUC
Turntable: VPI HR-X, VdH Colibri XGW

bmwr75

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 06:11:10 PM »
Wal-mart sells Verizon cell phones.