Author Topic: Looking for blu ray player...  (Read 1884 times)

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
Looking for blu ray player...
« on: March 28, 2012, 09:59:34 AM »
I am usually about 10 years behind everyone else when it comes to getting "NEW" technology/equipment...   :o

But now I am thinking about getting a blu ray player...

Looking for comments for a ECONOMICAL blu ray player purchase...  It does not have to be new, just working, so if someone here has one they are looking to sell let me know...

Regarding a new player, in the entry level, thoughts/suggestions???

Thanks for your time,
George
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
Re: Looking for blu ray player...
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 10:18:53 AM »
I have an Oppo BDP-83 and like it very much. It has a very nice picture even with standard DVDs. As a bonus it also plays SACDs.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline xkepir2

• FNG !!!
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 10:51:10 AM »
When it comes to laser based AV equipment such as Blu-ray, I think that you have the right idea.  I personally don't spend a lot of money on CD/DVD/Blu-ray players.  I few this type of equipment as expendable.

The technology is rapidly changing and the cost is falling; much like and for the same reasons as PC technology (i.e. Moore's Law).  You can purchase a unit today for less than $200 - $300 with the same quality of a unit costing $1,000 three years ago.  Plus the newer unit will have more/improved features.  I would rather spend less money here and more where it counts.  Amps/Speakers/Video
Thanks,
xkepir2

Offline treos33

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 11:28:39 AM »
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882105658

I've had this for a few weeks and I really like it. It's very small and has tons of features. I haven't used the wifi but I do have it streaming netflix (via ethernet cale), reading just about every movie format off my portable hard drive, and playing blu rays and dvds. Apparently it also plays SACDs but I don't have any to test this out.
Desk:
ObjectiveDAC, Technics SL-1500 w/ Grado Black Cart -> NAD 1000 pre -> Emotiva Airmotiv 4
Bedroom:
Creek 4330R -> DefTech StudioMonitor 450
Home Theater:
Onkyo TX-NR809, Rotel RB-981 -> Boston Acoustics VR-40, VR-12 Center, Soundware surrounds, Velodyne VRP-1200

Offline thuffman03

• Zen Master
  • CarverFest Evictee
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 12:04:25 PM »
Oppo is a good choice.  Might be out of your price range.  The model 93, 83 has been discontinued, is $499 plus shipping.

For a BR player I use a Sony Play Station 3 or PS3.  They have Sony's top of the line BR decoder and they start at $250.
Got Carver?